What's new

HELP: Need 5 speakers + 100w sub for $200 (1 Viewer)

Travis D

Second Unit
Now compared to some of you, I'm a little challenged in the so-called "Money Department." I've decided this will not stop me from getting a worthwhile system. I currently have an AIWA home theater shelf system :ick: and will be upgrading to a Kenwood 507.
The thing is is that I am in desperate need of new speakers and a sub. My current back speakers that came with the AIWA are so bad that it sounds like it is stuck inside a pig's ass it is so muffled. Same goes for the center speaker, in fact so much so that I've told the DD and DTS decoders on my Sony 670 DVD Player to redirect the center channel to the 2 front L&R's so I could get higher fidelity out of people's voices.
I need a good speaker package w/ a sub for around 200 dollars if that is possible. I've come up with these 2 packages so far:
KLH HTA809
and
Audiosource SYSTEM25
Now I'm sure some of you more well informed people out there can give me a helping hand.
Thank you in advance,
Travis
[Edited last by Travis D on September 30, 2001 at 06:14 PM]

Travis D

Second Unit
The Cambridge looks nice, just wish I knew what the specs were on those speakers. Hifi.com is just not a good site.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
At this price point, you might be better off not knowing the specs. The Ensemble should get you started but expect to replace it within a few years when finance free up. I'd approach this purchase as a temporary disposable system that will entertain you immediately but not be expected to be a long term investment.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i have a CSW Ensemble IV package. only reason it's still around is that i got it for free from their monthly giveaway. they aren't bad...in fact for $200 (or -hey- for free
wink.gif
) i think they're pretty decent. my cubes will leave me next fall when i grab some Paradigms or PSBs. good start though!
------------------
-Thomas
Click here to visit my webpage.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Costco!
Advent
5 1/4 woof
3/4 titanium tweet
$49.99 pair (need 3 pair)
KLH 10" 100w powered sub
$99.00
$250.00 and not too bad of a sounding system!
Wes

Jin E

Second Unit

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
If you're upgrading to a Kenwood VR-507, your problems are over. Instead of buying the 507, buy the HTB-504. This contains all the speakers, the VR-507 and a powered subwoofer, all for the grand total of $400.
------------------
Norm Strong ([email protected])

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
When I was in this situation, here is what I did. One thing to think about, if you buy a 5 speaker setup for $200 it will likely be very difficult to match better speakers into your setup when finances do allow it. Keep in mind that I was not a member here nor did I know quite as much about home theater, but it all turned out ok.
I had a prologic receiver and aiwa bookshelf speakers. I had to upgrade, so I picked a set of mains that would one day make good surrounds and that had a matching center. I chose the Polk R10, a small but pretty decent bookshelf speaker.
This gave me good stereo up front, no center, and those Aiwas for surround. This was adequate until I could afford the matching center. I picked the cs175. This gave me a matching L/C/R setup and those crappy Aiwa surrounds. My next purchase was a Sony DE445 receiver. Added DTS and DD5.1 to my new speakers.. sounding good so far.
Perhaps you see where this is going. A little while later I picked up a sony SAWM-40 sub. Great price from Sears pricematch. Then I sold my Sony DE445 on ebay for $150 and picked up a $200 Denon 1601 for $50!
Finally I got matching mains. I chose the polk R40. Now I have dd5.1 & dts in a matching surround setup. BTW 6 channel stereo is amazing! Its a good quality setup, but I built it slowly.
So before you drop $200 into a whole bunch of tiny speakers, consider your options.
Just my $.04 (its more than 2 I think)
(you actually read that whole thing? :) )
keep us posted,
Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks