Help: Need 3 video inputs but only have 2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob White, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Rob White

Rob White Stunt Coordinator

Right now I have Tivo hooked up with S-video to one of my tv's inputs and my dvd hooked up by component cable to a second tv input. My tv has really has 3 inputs but one is on the front of the tv and thus can't really be hooked up to my VCR without looking bad in an otherwise sleak, custom flush-mounted entertainment center. I could use my receiver as a video switcher but it won't be able to use the component cable from the dvd (since the receiver only has s-video inputs/output).
    We really won't use the VCR much. Just for a few video tapes and to copy something from the Tivo. Any other ideas for me that I might not know about?
    Thanks in advance for any help...... Rob
    ------------------
    Receiver: Onkyo 595
    Speakers: Energy Encores
    TV: Sony 43T75 rptv
    DVD/CD: Panasonic RV-31

2. Jonathan Tuck

Looked up the specs for your tv and it says 1 component in the rear and 2 svhs/composite in the rear -- why can't you hook the vcr to the 2nd composite connection? Or you could hook it to the 2nd rf input on the rear...
    ------------------

3. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Rob, I would use a composite to S-video converter for the VCR. Then both your Tivo and your VCR can be connected to your receiver with S-video allowing both sources to be fed to the same input on your TV (S-video).....switching can then be done at the receiver. (DVD will connect directly to your TV via component as you have it now).
    Hope this helps.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Vin on August 16, 2001 at 10:30 AM]