Help narrow my search for a hdtv rptv.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Whitney B., Jan 7, 2004.

1. Whitney B.

Whitney B. Auditioning

I have finally decided to hold off for the time being on getting a high end tv. I want to wait and see what happens with some of the newer and upcoming technologies before I purchase one. The only problem is that I want something inexpensive for the time being. Any help in narrowing my search would be helpfull.
    Here is what I would like.
    42-51 inch
    16:9
    crt
    720p 1080i
    85% viewing movies under controlled lighting
    xbox performance is a plus

I primarily want the BEST video quality for dvd and hdtv for my money. I would also like to hook it up to a computer but that is a feature that I can do without in this price range. I can always run the computer through a component connection. Any other features or aesthetics I don't care about. I haven't recorded anything on tv in probably 5 years so I don't need the neccessary connections.

I am looking at Toshiba, Hitachi, and Samsung, but will accept any ideas such as Sony or Mits if it seems worth it.
    $1500 - $2500
    Remember that this is just a temporary set I will probably only use for about two years.

Please, if you suggest a model tell me why, not just because you own it and you think it's the best thing ever. I'm sure your tv is great but I need reasons and comparisons to decide if it's the right tv for me.

Thank you in advance for your participation.

2. Paul_Ptaaty

Paul_Ptaaty Stunt Coordinator

Hitachi 51s500

supposed to be as good as my 51swx20b, using software to overcome the cheaper components plus better stretch modes. Hitachi is also #1 in reliability according to consumer reports. I would suggest, removing protective screen, setting up per AVIA, calibrated the color decoder, and at least an eyeball grayscale (nearly impossible for everything but red) or better, get it ISF'ed.

I have seen a number of TVs in this range and think the Hitachi is the best....the SWX series last year were very well regarded. I think it was the Sound and Vision editor who was so impressed he bought the 57" SWX for his own use. The biggest selling point is how good it can make standard def (dvds and worse) look as good as possible. It has a very good internal scaler that brings everything to 540p or 1080i, has DVI in, etc....

TO learn specific tweaks check hometheaterspot....

like speakers, setup will be one of the biggest influences on PQ.

3. Whitney B.

Whitney B. Auditioning

I definately plan to spend the money and get it calibrated. I'll use avia and video essentials to start out with and let it settle for about 90 days then have someone isf it. Is that model a current model? I don't seem to see it listed on hitachi's webpage.