Help, my XBR450 looks terrible!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WillY, Jun 19, 2001.

1. WillY

WillY Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,
    I have long perused this forum for the vast amount of information contained within it, and now I'm desperate enough to actually ask for some help...
    I just bought a 36XBR450, and it just looks terrible for most sources. I calibrated with Avia and that's about it. I have an RCA satellite receiver (DirecTV), and the picture is being fed to TiVo with S-Video and then to the TV with S-Video. It looks horrendous. Same with PS2, with the pixelation and other problems.
    I was wondering what kind of settings I should be using. I leave it in interlaced mode for everything except DVD's (don't have a progressive player yet). I have the color temp or whatever set to warm, and VM turned off. I have my DVD player hooked up via component cables, but picture quality hasn't been what I've expected. I am also sitting about 5 feet from the TV (live in a small loft, no choice), which probably isn't helping.
    Is there a comprehensive resource specific to the XBR450 I can use to tune my TV? The only thing I've really been happy about has been watching Toy Story 2 on the TV. My jaw almost dropped; the first scene when Buzz is flying around is amazing!
    Thanks.
    ------------------

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Can you be more specific in describing what the terrible look consists of?
    Misconvergence? Flesh tones keep changing from purplish to greenish? Bowed lines?
    Other video hints:http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Also, what kind of display were you looking at before? In other words, if you're kind of new to this home theater thing and have mostly watched TV in "torch mode," it will take some time to get used to a properly calibrated, high-end display (and high end is what you have, sir!). But seeing as how you have a copy of avia, you're probably aware of The Truth ( [​IMG] ).
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

4. Grady

Grady Extra

Which picture mode are you using? I played around and to my eyes the "standard" mode looked best. The white and black levels can be tricky. Try setting the white(contrast)level at about one third and the black(brightness)level at about one half. Then fine tune it with your Avia disc. Use as low a white level as you can. If you watch your set in a dark room use your Avia disc while the room is dark and vice versa.
    While your 450 has 3/2 pull down and my 400 does not, I suspect a good progressive scan dvd player will help you out. You still should get a good dvd picture with what you've got now. After you re-calibrate if your still not happy take your player to a store and plug it into one of their 450's and compare. DVD should look great on your set, using non HDTV signals as a test is tough because the quality is all over the place. On mine some stations look great and others don't. Good luck.

5. bently

bently Extra

just got my 36xbr450 last week and i also share your sentiments...
    my couch if also about 5 ft. from the tv and the scan lines are very visible....
    i have no complaints when i watch my dvd's on this new tv
    its when i watch my tv shows on cable that i'm having a hard time to deal with.
    i've adjusted my settings using video essential, and my cable reception on my other tv's are great.
    but when i try to view it on the 36xbr450 the pictures looks
    like its digitally zoomed (pixelated) so i would always go on PIP mode (picture in picture) to reduce the size of the picture and the quality of the picture greatly improves to about 300%.
    but this kinda defeats the purpose of having a 36" screen. [​IMG]

6. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

The better (and bigger) the tv set and the closer you sit, the more your eyes will see all the problems that are inherent in your cable signal. I find that the tv which produces the best cable picture from about 4-5 feet away is our 13 inch Sharp kitchen set...not surprising since I read that the original NTSC spec was geared for sets about this size (7 - 19 inch I believe). So, given that broadcast/cable tv is getting 330 horizontal lines of resolution (measured per picture height) if one is lucky, it's not surprising that a lot of people are complaining about the quality of many of their cable channels on the bigger more expensive sets. This is one of the main reasons I'm leery of migrating to a Toshiba 32AX60 set from about 8 feet away. While I think it'll offer a nice improvement for dvds over the current 27A40 (which would go into a room where the viewing distance is actually 11 feet), I'm concerned that cable channels will degrade from that distance.
    As for the Sony XBR, it also has a line doubler which is taking the interlaced cable signal and doubling it to a progressive 60 lines a second frame. This can introduce digital artifacts which you may see as pixellation. Not having any experience with the Sonys, is it possible to turn off the line doubling for the cable input and see if that improves things at all?
    good luck,
    --tom

7. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

If the beginning of the Toy Story 2 DVD looks great, then what you are seeing is - very clearly for the first time - the actual difference between a great DVD and the current DirecTV image.
    The better the set, the worse DirecTV is going to look. It used to be better, but they decided that to expand further, they needed to supply "local channels", of which there are many many. Thus, they had to add a LOT of channels, and that made the picture quality on the channels worse.
    You will find that when you want to watch a movie, you rent a DVD, period. Otherwise, you'll use the other sources for news, sports, and watch series that are only on broadcast TV.
    By the way, your picture might improve a little if you bought the DirecTiVo receiver that has TiVo built-in. That unit has identical quality between "live" and "recorded" and also avoids the extra box and cable. Try plugging your DirecTV directly into the XBR and see if that improves anything - if so, you might consider the integrated box.