Help! My Sub makes my walls 'buzz!'

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph Young, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I have an Energy S8.2 Sub, recently upgraded from a 50 watt Sony SW. I have had great results from it, much deeper and tighter bass than I am used to. However, during particularly aggressive scenes, the low frequency will literally vibrate my walls, causing a very distracting buzzing noise. This is more due to the small size of the room and the necessity of placing my HT in the corner.

My question is: what is the best way to alleviate this without simply turning down the LFE? Is it a bad idea to place something (such as a phone book) underneath the sub to help 'absorb' the vibration? Because honestly, this really helped, but it doesn't seem like a good long-term solution.

I have a small (10 X 12) room for my HT and very little space in which to maneuver. Any tips & tricks would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Joseph

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Try a patio block. Like a 14 x 14 x 2 block or a floor tile.
    Do you know what's causing the buzz?
    Amstel light?[​IMG]
    Heineken?[​IMG]

3. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

Go to www.vibrapods. These vibrapods will absorb almost any amount of vibration. I used them to make my DVD quit mistracking when my SVS is making the room jump. They work great.

4. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Tom,

A friendly tip: You don’t have to make a new post when you make a boo-boo like this. Just click the “Edit” icon at the top. It will let you into your existing post, and make the changes.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

Joseph,
    I know what you are going throgh. I had the same problem with my M&K MX5000 ,and MX350. I ended up moving them out of the corner so that the side, and rear of the subs are 12" from the front, and side wall. It was a real pain since they are stacked, and I have a bad back, but the problem was fixed with no change in bass.
    Also a friend of mine stuck a pillow behind his, and it got rid of the problem.
    Hope this helps.[​IMG]
    L
    ps- Tom has a good idea with the vibrapods, or if your sub accepts spikes you could also try Martin Logan spikes. These spikes are heavy duty, and add a little style to your sub. L
    http://www.martinlogan.com
    Go to the Extatic shop.