What's new

HELP my RPTV died? (1 Viewer)

Lee Weiss

Stunt Coordinator
In the middle of Spongebob, the video signal went out. I thought it was part of the show and I was waiting for Spongebob to open his eyes, but nothing.

Sound is working perfectly. It went out of extended warranty two months ago.

What is this going to cost me???

Lee Weiss

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry Bob,

5 year old Mitsu VS4543, 45" RPTV. Screen was back and working this morning, but I im no way confident that "all is fine". I was left plugged in all night too.

Any ideas as to what could cause this?

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
I just had to spend acres of time on a 4543 because of coolant leakage, which messed with the protection system, plus damaging other stuff in there. I also came to find out there are misprints in the service manual re. resistor values in the protection system. I had to talk with Mit live, to get the proper values. Using the values printed in the manual guarantees that your set will never turn on again.

I'll preface what I am about to say by saying this:

Anybody who gets into an RPTV, even a qualified service tech, is taking their life in their hands, and I do not recommend doing so unless you are a qualified tech and have been trained in how to avoid shock from High Voltage while inside one of these.

That said, proceed at your own risk if you still intend to do this yourself, or get a tech in to do it for you.

Best way to tell, is to take the back off, with set UNPLUGGED - any HV should have bled off by the time you would get in there - hopefully at least a few hours after turn-off, but don't be frisky in there - and look very carefully, using backlighting with a small flashlight, to see if any of the light is reflecting back off the circuit board in a "gleaming" way because of that potential coolant leakage. If so, get down and look very carefully to see if you find any of that leakage.

If found, I recommend you reinstate your ESP if at all possible. Leakage can cause multiple problems, and some of them were staggered over time, on the one I just fixed.

Mr Bob

Lee Weiss

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,

I just found out my warranty ends in 9 days. Just gave the company a call and mentioned my problem. I have to call back when at home for a tech to try and tell me some things to try over the phone before they will send out a tech. I have little faith that is was a one-time fluke, so I will push them hard. I want needed parts replaced now, and not after the warranty goes out.

Why is it that people like you always live so far away? The tech came a couple of weeks ago for a general cleaning. I asked about service level convergence (if that is the term). He cleaned the mirror and lenses and played with the convergence adjustment on the remote. Granted, I think the picture still looks nice, but I bet someone with your qualifications (peeked at your website) could far exceed my expectations.

Thanks for your help and I will try and look into what you are talking about. I am going to pass on the ESP, because they want to bang me for $800 for 3 more years. I would rather get a widescreen for that price!

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
You are one lucky SOB!

The date the problem is reported is the critical date, and since you are near the end, you might also ask them to extend your warranty to cover the time between report and resolution, here. And add the typical 30 days that you usually get from a regular warranty.

That is done, in the industry, tho I don't know if your guys will do it.

And yes, press them hard. This should not be happening.

BTW, it might help if I knew where you live...

Mr Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks