Help my RP91 is locked!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Chick, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Ben Chick

Ben Chick Agent

I put in a VCD I created in CDRWIN and now my RP91 won't power down or open the tray to get the disc out. Whenever I press either the power of open buttons, it displays on the panel "locked" and onscreen it says "tray is locked". I've never had a problem before with this happening. I've unplugged the player dozens of times and tried pressing alot of buttons on the remote and unit, but the player refuses to play anything else, but the disc it refuses to eject. Is my Panasonic RP91 dead and in need of service? this sucks! it worked flawlessly up to this point. Any help appreciated!

2. Ben Chick

Ben Chick Agent

A fellow named David on another thread here suggested this:

"Press STOP on the player and POWER on the remote at the same time. That should unlock the tray. "

...and it worked! Thought I would post the solution here for others that might have run a search. The Panasonic solution was for me to ship my RP91 back to a service center. Bleh!

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ben, that's interesting. Back when the Technics DVD-A10 was a current model, I saw it on display in a local store. The player was connected to a TV, a home-theater receiver, and a 5.1 speaker set-up to demo DVD-Audio. A sampler disc played continuously. At the time, I was very interested in the player and wanted to check out the build quality. I wanted to open and close the drawer to see if it was sturdy and smooth, but it was locked exactly as you described with your 'RP91. It was annoying, and an employee told me that their Matsushita sales rep. locked the drawer so that no one would steal the disc. The employee told me that no one in the store could unlock the drawer. How annoying! Too bad I didn't know the way around it back then.

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I didn't know about that "drawer open" trick. That's a good bit of information to have. Thanks to the original poster and Ben.

5. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Most manufacturers build that feature into DVD players so, I assume, the retailers don't lose their discs(believe me it happens alot).

Unfortunately, they don't share that info. with the consumer. It would be useful if the DVD player is low in the rack small children are around.

Glad I could be of help, Ben.

DJ

6. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Stunt Coordinator

7. Ben Chick

Ben Chick Agent

Put my VCD in it to lock it. [​IMG]
    Actually I haven't tried to lock it again. I am just happy it is unlocked now. I may have pressed some buttons on the remote to lock it originally.. I may have hit the right combo.. I was messing with my player.. or it could just be the disc. I read here that some people had this same thing happen with the Unbreakable DVD in their RP91s, so it might just be my VCD.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, that's interesting. I had no idea that manufacturers often include a locking feature on DVD players. I guess it makes sense for the retailers. None of my players have provided directions in the owner's manuals.

9. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Dave,

You lock it the same way.

Ben,

The disc you put in shouldn't make it lock, unless there is some fault in the firmware.

Keith,

All Matsushita made players lock the same way, so you can do the same thing to lock/unlock your Technics DVD-A10 as well. Same goes for the Yamaha players made by Matsushita and the Denon 1600.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Sony owners can lock/unlock their trays too. Press 1, Angle, Subtitle, 9, and Power with the power off(off on the remote, not the Power button on the unit depressed--Standby off). It works for models starting with the 9000 ES and later. I don't know if Sony carried it through to the brand new models coming out though. I haven't tried it on those yet.

Owners of older Sony DVD players can try 1410 & 1411 then Power to lock and unlock respectively(again with the player in Standby off mode).

DJ

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, thanks again for the info. I am hesitant to try the lock feature on the 'A10. I'd be afraid of locking it and then being unable to unlock it. Well, that would be a great excuse to upgrade. [​IMG]
    I have a Sony DVP-C670D changer from two years ago. From what you said, I wouldn't expect it to have a lock feature. That's O.K. I don't need the feature. No kids here. [​IMG]

11. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

I just tried it on my RP-91 and it worked perfectly. I heard Denon had the same kind of "feature". I'll have to ask, unless someone here knows.

12. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

My RP-91 locked on me way back in the fall of last year while playing Dinosaur I believe. I couldn't get the door open nor would it recognize any commands. I didn't know about the trick above at the time.
    I waited a few hours and tried it again and it opened up and I haven't had a lock up since. Maybe there's one lockup built into the firmware of each RP91. [​IMG]
    Patrick