What's new

HELP! My Pioneer Elite LD Player keeps getting stuck! (1 Viewer)

Christopher_J_F

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me.
I have been a proud owner of a Pioneer Elite CLD-79 for a few years now (3rd Pioneer LD player, 1st Elite model), but about a year ago this problem developed. It didnt bother me to much as it was infrequent, but now it happens every time:
When I first put in a disc and close the drawer, the pickup Carriage gets stuck as it raises :angry: !!
I've opened the top and I cannot find ANYTHING wrong with it, except (and it's a big "except") that the disc seems to be to heavy for the pickup to make it all the way to the top. If I (gently) pull it the rest of the way with my finger (It's really close. I'd say about a 1/5th of an inch from making it) everything continues as normal.
It does not get stuck if there is no disc inside.
I mean, this is an Elite! This shouldnt happen right?
Is it dying? Will I have to replace the entire pickup mechanism? IF the part could even be found...
Any help (besides "shoot it" or "bury it in the back yard" type jokes, tyvm...) would be GREATLY appreciated.
I have well over 500 LD's so giving up on my beloved LD format is not an option!
Thanks in advance-

You may be hard pressed trying to find someone that can work on it in house but as far as I know pioneer is still making parts atleast for the higher end LD players so you may be able to pay through an authorised Pioneer service center.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Send an E-Mail to Kurtis Bahr and he will advise you. If you like, he can fix it too. His E-Mail address is [email protected]. I have the 79 as well (which he fixed) and have ordered spare parts as well as picked up a 704 which I will eventually use in the basement and it takes the same parts.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
He will, it make take him a couple of days. He is an engineer and this is his passion and hobby so he gets to it when he can. He is a great guy to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks