What's new

Help my pick a speaker set... (1 Viewer)

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
OK, this is my second post. The other has to do with my choice of receivers. I am a neophyte here. My speaker budget (including sub) is about $1200 max, less if I want a better receiver.

I originally tested a set of paradigm Monitor 7s for mains, but my wife will not allow me to get anything not small enough to wall mount. Believe me, I am getting an important concession on her end because she wants a Bose system for its "cuteness." So the deal is, I can get any system that is small enough to wall mount.

The two I have narrowed it to are:

Option 1:

Center Channel: paradigm cc-370 ($350)

Mains: paradigm monitor minis ($300)

rears: atoms ($200)

sub: Velodyne CT-100 ($320)

total: $1170

Pros: Have previewed and sounds great. I LOVE paradigm speakers for the price. Sub sounds good, and is low profile (forget SVS, twice the price, and if I want a barrel in my living room, I'll have a keg party).

Cons: More expensive than other option, minis may be difficult to wall mount, aesthetics mediocre.

Option 2:

Energy Encore complete system, (includes sub). $975

Pros: has gotten excellent reviews, including from The Perfect Vision. Great aesthetics. Easy wall mount. Wife will be pleased. Better price (can get a better receiver possibly).

Cons: haven't been able to find it in store to try it out. Concerned about inadequate sound stage for my 22'x14'space, though speakers are billed as "bigger" than they look.

Any opinions about either system or both are greatly appreciated.

A second question - the salesperson said it is probably not best to get minis in front with atoms rear, due to compatibility issues. He said get either 4 minis or 4 atoms. But I want larger fronts. Is he right?

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Try and demo Definitive Technology pro monitor 100's. They are excellent and still blow me away every time I hear them. I used to own them and have a friend who still does. His wife is picky and had no problem with the def. tech's.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Welcome Eric.

I have the encores and let me tell you that they are great. You really do get great sound from these little speakers. If you want more bass then I think you can add a suv sub into the mix. I really look no further.

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
Have you thought about a Dharman for sub? It runs about $100 more, but it is a lot beter supposedly than a velodyne ct-10. I had one of those but took it back. It is good but I just want a sub with more bass that one could feel.

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
The Atoms will work fine as surrounds. I use them mated with Paradigm Studio 20s as my mains and it sounds great. Would Minis be better surrounds? A bit probably, especially for 5 channel music. It is one of those trade off things that comes up to often.

Nick

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Eric,
Substitute the Titans for the mains and get the Adire Audio Rava for the sub and I think you would have a wonderful system that will please both you and your wife. Another option may be the Def Tech Pro Cinema 100.6 package that goes for around $1,100.
Is there any partical reason she will not allow you to get either floorstanders or bookshelf speakers that you can put on stands? Finding out her specific objection to the speakers can help you to find a better compromise.
If it is just for looks, then she may enjoy the look of the wood nOrh 4.0s ($775 for the package - today is the last day of their Christmas sale) and you could get the Adire Audio Rava and come in under $1,200 total.

Nick L

Second Unit
I'm going to have to say go with option 1. The Mini's sound incredible and so does the cc370. I think for your price range you won't find a better sounding front 3. The atoms will work good for the rears. It is not as important to match the rears with the fronts as it is to have a good front sound stage and the mini's and cc370 will provide an excellent one.

As for the sub I think I would go with the Adire Audio Rava, though I have not heard it or the Velodyne in question.

Either way you'll have a great setup.

what receiver are you going to use?

Nick L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks