What's new

Help, my Pearl Harbor just died! (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Is the disc in good shape and dust-free? What about your player? Do you use it to watch several movies in a row or give it a rest in between films? And is the player kept reasonably dust-free? You might simply need to clean the lense.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I was trying to watch Pearl Harbor Director's Cut Vista Series but my disc 1, died. It skips and pixalates all over the place and it wasn't like that before. I've watched it 5 times and it played perfect. Is there any way that Buena Vista will replace just disc 1 for me? The others work perfect, and I'd hate to get a whole new boxed set only to find that other other discs don't work. Anyone know how I can contact them and see what they'll say? I bought it when it first came out, so I highly doubt that DVDempire will replace the discs for me.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Wow! That was a quick reply. Anyway, I only watch about 1 movie a day, so I doubt it's the player. Plus as soon as I tried watching the messed up disc one, I tried disc two, and it played perfect. It's just disc 1 that's messed up. The DVD has light scratches on it (probably from the packaging) and it even looks like it has a small glob of glue (also from the packaging).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Is this smudge/"glob" below or above the clear plastic layer? You might not want to put that disc back in your player. Some people have had luck by contacting the studios directly about defective discs.

Andy Kim

Second Unit
I was watching Pearl Harbor Vista today and today was the first time the layer change was visible. If I can recall, it was always seemless...but then again I could be wrong as I haven't seen it in a while.

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator
My dvd player skips over two scenes somewhere in the middle. (when josh is talking to kate in the park) it gets all pixilated and freezes my player, yet i can see no scratches on the disc. Argh.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Consider it a blessing in disguise. Just kidding. Digital media is quirky. My copy of "They Live" plays fine sometimes, then won't play at all. However, it plays great in my Playstation 2 all the time. Strange...

Only way to find out for sure is to test it on multiple players, clean the disc, clean the player, test a friend's copy of "Pearl Harbor" in your player, etc. You might have to do a little detective work.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Is this smudge/"glob" below or above the clear plastic layer?
It's above the disc. I tried taking it off, but I only scratched it more with my nails. I need to contact Buena Vista. Does anyone know the number? Or should I contact Disney; doesn't Disney own Buena Vista?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Mitch, you've kind of indicated that this disc has been damaged — scratches, surface-layer smudges, further scratches from trying to remove the first round of damage. The studio's not obligated here. (Treat DVDs carefully; they're "rugged" compared with, say, vinyl LPs, but they are not indestructable.)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
But it wasn't my fault at all. The disc was clearly defective as it had glue stuck on it from the packaging itself. All I was trying to do was remove the glue from the bottom of the disc. That should count as a manufacturer's defect or something. I have 400 DVDs and not a single one has even a faint scratch. They are all kept in mint/pristine condition.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. Strange, I'm having the same problem with my copy of Pearl Harbor. It begins towards the beginning of the Japanese attack on Pearl. I checked the disc, and there is no damage whatsoever. What gives?!

AJG

PS: Disc 2 plays fine.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Aaron and Mitch,

I too was having problems with my Dir.cut of PH.
Right when they drop that bomb onto the Arizona and it detonates that is where my dvd started to pixelize and freeze up. And it was a brand new disc. So I couldn't figure it out. So I contacted BV Customer Service and they gladly exchanged my copy for a new one.
They sent me my new copy in about 2 weeks. They asked me what was wrong with the disc what model dvd player I had. After receiving my new copy, I immediately played the scene(s) that were messing up previous and played just fine.
Here's the contact info. for BV:
Consumer Hotline: Buena Vista Home Entertainment also has a phone option for consumer questions: 1-800-723-4763.

Good Luck and hope this helps!
Troy

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the same problem as others with what appears to be a glob of glue or something. I can't get it off with my usually reliable disc cleaner.

I just called the number Troy provided - thanks - and they're sending me a mailer to send my disc in to them.

The tech rep was extremely courteous.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Well I also called today. Thanks Troy! The lady rep was really nice to talk to, and she said that it was def. not supposed to have glue on the disc, and that they would replace it. The only problem is, she wants me to send the entire box (all 4 DVDs). The only thing I'm worried about is that the replacement box will probably have glue on other DVDs as well :frowning: I'll have to watch each and every single extra again to find out if there are any defects with the discs. It's alright though, because I found the extras to be extremely entertaining, especially those b/w documentaries it comes with.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Mitch and Matt,

Glad BV is helping you guys out. They really went out of their way to help me so I figured spread the news in hopes of helping someone else out.

Glad you'll be spinning your new PH discs here soon with no defects this time:emoji_thumbsup:

Later!;)

Doug Burress

Auditioning
I had to replace my pearl Harbor as well. The disk (disk 1)looked fine, but would start to pixalize and freeze up in several places. I took it back to Best Buys and they gave me a new one, I haven't tried the new disk yet.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
GREAT NEWS! My Pearl Harbor discs finally arrived! I'm so happy. I checked the discs, and there doesn't seem to be anything physically wrong with them, so I hope they play perfect! Thanks Buena Vista! And thanks to all of you guys for the info to contact them!

Anyone else get yours back yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks