What's new

Help, my new Denon 3802 is acting up! (1 Viewer)

Corey Holter

Agent
I have a new (two week old) Denon 3802. It's been great up until tonight. When I turned it on, the speakers sounded like there was a test tone pattern going to them (all five speakers). I checked and this is happening with any source. Mute works and the noise goes away. Also, turning it all the way down works as well - other than that, volume control does not work and the sound is a constant hum.

The unit is performing the video switching properly, and all cables appear to be connected properly.

Any advice? Thanks.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
wow suddenly there seems to be a lot of problem 3802's. I would call the dealer if I were you or I would call Denon and explain the problem to them. :frowning: . If none of them satisfy you then hopefully your purchase was made with a credit card.
Hope someone from Denon is reading this forum.
I've had my 3802 for over seven months without any problems.
Good Luck.

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
I've had my 3802 for about 6 mos. with no problems. My test tones only come on when I push the "Test Tones" blue button on the remote - could the button be stuck?

If all else fails, you could try to reset the processor. Look on pg. 62 of the manual, under "Initialization of the Microprocessor." I've never tried it, but I've seen it work for others.

As for the hum, it could possibly be a ground loop, or also check for correct polarization - make sure speaker wires are connected properly from the binding posts to the speakers (i.e. red to red, black to black)

Hope any of this helps.

Yoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
It's about the end cycle for 3802, and it seems that QA problem occurrs usually at the beginning and end of production cycles...

Corey Holter

Agent
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check the test tones button, speaker wires, and possibly try to reset the processer tonight. I'll report back!

Thanks

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
It's about the end cycle for 3802, and it seems that QA problem occurrs usually at the beginning and end of production cycles...
In a years worth of product life (3801 was outdated in 8 months) where does the middle of the production cycle occur. Seems like there is only a 3-4 month window where you can buy these products safely:D
The 3300 was pretty unreliable and then came the 3801 which was pretty reliable and then came the 3802 that is plagued with problems galore. Maybe the 3803 will be more reliable. That remains to be seen.
With somany e-tailers popping up every other day that carry all brands. I wonder if the US market is getting flodded with grey market products. It would be worthwhile to run a new thread asking all the members with faulty 3802s (or other Denon receivers) where their purchase was made (authorized or unauthorized dealers). From that we might be able to draw some conclusions as to the relationship between defective pieces and their source of origin. Just a thought.

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
The 3300 was pretty unreliable...
My experience with the 3300 was the complete opposite. I bought mine in December 1999 and never had any problems with it. It has been the most reliable component I've ever owned. It has since been replaced with an Anthem AVM 20 which has already suffered a blown fuse. So I guess it depends on the luck of the draw.

Corey Holter

Agent
OK, so I've tried all suggestions and no luck:

First, all speaker wires are hooked up properly. Note: receiver was working fine on Sunday night.

Tried the test tone button and funny thing - I could hear the test tones, all going to the proper speakers, but through it all was this annoying, constant hum. I then tried to turn the audio volume up and I could hear the television volume, but again, masked by the volume of this hum (television volume can't be heard until about -20).

I reset the microprocessor according to the instructions, and no luck. Same problem still exists.

Any other advice? If not, I will contact 6th Ave for a replacement.

Thanks in advance.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Corey, before returning it, disconnect everything from the receiver except for the speakers and run the test tones again. You want to make sure that one of the other components in your system isn't causing some kind of feedback issue. I would say once you isolate the problem as being caused by the receiver then it's time to get a replacement.

It also seems like a lot of people are reporting problems with the 3802. Is it just that so many people have suddenly purchased them and we're only seeing the reports of problems ? I'd be interested in knowing if everyone bought these units with problems from the same place.

cheers,

--tom

rodney wiley

Second Unit
I got mine from 6th ave. It not quite 2 weeks old and dead!!!!! not even a standby light!!! First the 1082 hit by lightning now a bad 3802 Am I Denon cursed or what? :angry:

Corey Holter

Agent
Tom,

Thanks for the input. I just unplugged all component and audio wires from the Denon, with only the speakers attached. Still have the same problem. I also reset the processor again, just for to be safe... same result - constant hum out of all five speakers...

Guess it's time to send it back??? Thanks to all for your assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks