Help! My LaCie 500GB won't show up on my eMac.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
So I've been having problems with bottlenecking on my LaCie 500GB external hard drive. I got frustrated with it and pulled out the cord. Normally it gives you a warning about improper device removal, but it didn't. Now it won't show up on my computer when I try to hook it back in.

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Try launching disk utility to see if it shows there. If it does, you can select it and hit the "mount" button.

If that doesn't work, try a restart.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Good luck resurrecting it. I now avoid LaCie drives like the plague after we had no fewer than five of their Big Disks go dead at the office.

If Apple's Disk Utility doesn't work for you, you may want to invest in another third party disk utility like Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I couldn't find it on Disk Utility.

I tried restarting about 20 times.

Now I'm worried that my files (some pretty important stuff, too) will be gone for good.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The weird thing is when I check "about this Mac" and click on the firewire, it says "unknown device," even when the hard drive is turned off.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I'd highly recommend that you go out and buy a copy of Disk Warior from Alsoft. At $100, it isn't cheap, but it will be the best $100 you've ever spent when it resurrects a bad disk or fixes a Mac that won't boot up for you. It can repair disks that won't mount for you. It's the gold standard for Mac repair utilities. If you pick up a copy, make sure it's version 4.0, which was just recently released.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Okay I bought the DiskWarrior download and CD last night. The CD hasn't come yet, so I'm trying to figure out how to work the thing for what I need: i.e. an external HD that won't show up. It doesn't show up on the software either. Am I doing something wrong?

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Well it's not like you're using an old OSX

One thing, your firewire might be hosed (do other firewire devices work on that plug now?).

I say this because I recently bought a firewire device for music input and it came with a warning about how the company (M-Audio) recommends that you do not hotswap their device but rather turn the Mac on with the device already plugged in and to unplug it after you've shut down. Their disclaimer states "while our device meets every IEEE1394 standard for hotswappability, we have received rare reports of firewire ports becoming damaged or unusable when hotswapping, therefore we strongly urge all users of our device to avoid hotswapping."

Not saying this is what happened, but you might investigate.

Good luck!

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I have an external DVD drive that works okay on the FireWire.

I got the CD of DiskWarrior, and I rebuilt the Macintosh HD, and it still won't show up. In clicking on Hardware only one device shows up, and claims to be functioning normally.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
My hard drive is back. All I did was switch the power cables and it powered up like the good old days.

Who'd have thunk it?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canzanareview