Help, My Girlfriend Is Sick (alcohol related)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chuck C, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

To celebrate the end of finals, my girlfriend went out with some students from one of her classes. She came to my place because her place was locked. She had too much to drink, and she threw up when she got in. She threw up again this morning and cannot move without feeling like vommiting again. I tried to give her water, but she threw it up. What can we do?

2. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Is the puke lime green?

If yes, get her to a hospital.

If no, well, now she's learned a valuable lesson.

As to what you can give her, try sips of water; better yet, gatorade or a full-blown oral rehydration solution.

3. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

naw...valuable lesson learned (which is what her mom told her a few hours ago on the phone)

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

First, give her som Excedrin Migrain formula, and make her sleep all day. Then have her eat a hamburger and drink a coke (it always cured my hangovers). Then have her clean your apartment.

5. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Sleep and water.

Dont bother with any stuff like tylenol etc. that stuff is just more work for your liver and its likely you can sleep without the need for it anyway.

6. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

If she is cold, clammy, hard to waken, or breathing irregularly then please take her to the hospital because these are signs of alcohol poisoning.

Otherwise, just let her sleep it off. Be sure you stick around and look after her to make sure she does not vomit in her sleep and possibly choke. Also, wake her up periodically to make sure she's still okay.

She could also be dehydrated from the alcohol which could be making her feel worse. Keep having her try to drink liquid; anything at this point is better than nothing (well, except for more alcohol). Maybe a little food or hard candy to suck on will help her queasiness especially if it's been a long time since she's last eaten (low blood sugar can make you feel ill as well).

Other than that, hope she learns her lesson. For many of us, once is all it took [​IMG]

7. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Is that a sign of alcohol poisoning too?

Getting that blasted is something one will only attempt once.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Chuck, just curious: If you had what seemed like a medical emergency on your hands, why didn't you call a physician at first? That is, a telephone will get you a quicker response from a medical professional than posting to an Internet message board. JB

9. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

If she has thrown up like Chuck said the danger of alchohol poisoning has already passed.

10. Tony_Woods

Tony_Woods Stunt Coordinator

Well my rememedy may not work for others, but it's a bloody mary with some greasy fast food, followed by a glass of water with alkaseltzer morning relief.

11. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

12. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

guys, I live with 8 dudes, and I've seen all the phases of drunkeness. I even monitored my friend's breathing once cuz I thought he had alcohol poisoning. My girlfriend is just very hungover. She's overreacting because she is a girl. She refuses water or gatorade becuase she's afraid to throw up. She hasn't vommited for hours. In fact, I just put her back to bed at her own house after making her eat some bran flakes and drinking water.

My problem is that at first, I couldn't tell if she was in seriously bad shape or just overreacting. anyway, I'm going back over there in an hour to force her to drink more water.

13. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Yup. Half a bottle of Jack with no dinner will never be happening again... But it was fun!

They do also sell hangover remedies in drug stores, put out (I think) by alka seltzer. You might want to look into that. Plus something light, like toast with some butter, to settle her stomach.

14. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    She'll stay feeling hungover until she gets some fluids. She's gotta drink some water.

15. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

Actually, unless you're talking alcohol poisoning, the best cure for a hangover IS alcohol (if you can keep it down, of course). A remedy well-known to any true alcoholic. I forget the exact scientific explanation for why alcohol works for hangovers, but I believe that it has something to do with caplillaries contracting as a result of dehydration caused by alcohol consumption, thus resulting in a nasty headache. Alcohol tends to temporarily open capillaries and improves blood flow (same reason it is a really bad idea to drink alcohol to warm up in cold weather--it actually has the effect of cooling your body after the initial "warm feeling").

16. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I never used to give people water (when I used to be in college). It doesn't mix with alcohol too well and usually makes people more sick. Always give gatorade or juice.

17. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Oh yes I'm well aware of that, but do it often enough and you're got an alcoholic in the making. Better to not start doing it in the first place. [​IMG] Plus, you want this painful experience firmly etched in her mind [​IMG]

18. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

good job [​IMG] at least you care about her[​IMG]

19. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Snickers bar and a sports drink (PowerAid, Gatoraid etc..) Will help some of the ill effects. Get liquids into her as much as you can, sounds like she might be dehydrated.

20. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

He probably figures it works for cats bladders why not humans.