Help my friend built a beginner HT with $4500 CAD...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Sep 23, 2001.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Okay, now every HT'ers favourite thing to do, SPEND OTHER PEOPLES' MONEY... [​IMG]
    Okay, my friend just moved, and he has $4500 CAD, and needs everyting for a new HT:
    -Reciever
    -Speakers/Sub
    -DVD Player
    -Television
    Now all he has around him is a futureshop, and the brick, has no idea how to hook things up, so best to keep it simple...
    I was thinking a kenwood HTIB, a Toshiba 50"-ish TV, and a good progressive scan player, i'd go for better stuff, but then they dont sell that at futureshops...
    My friend was looking at a Panasonic Audio system, and some RCA 36" HDTV... ugh...
    So guys, help me get my friend a good run for his money!
    FYI: THeres also a 15% Tax... so lets try to include tax with the final price... its okay if you go over a bit
    [Edited last by NickSo on September 23, 2001 at 01:12 AM]

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

So your friend has around $2,500 or so US to work with. Since you live in Canada, give stuff from Paradigm, PSB, and Energy serious consideration. Personally, I'd look at:
    nOrh 4.0 package - $850
    Denon AVR-1802 - $350
    Adire Audio Rava - $400
    Panasonic RV-61 - $300
    TV - $600

3. Paul Wu

Paul Wu Stunt Coordinator

You could always get him to come to the meet and we'll talk his ear off. [​IMG] But maybe not, I take it your friend isn't in BC, as tax here is 14%.
    So before taxes, he's got $3,900 to work with.
    How does he feel about ordering through the mail?
    How big is the HT space, is it an apartment? You mentioned a 50" RPTV, can that fit into the space without a problem and will he be sitting too close to the set?
    Well let's start off by saying, getting a progressive player and a 50" Toshiba set will eatup all his budget, assuming that he wants to use the progressive player with a set that will accept a progressive signal.
    First, I'd recommend an entry level DVD player, like the Panasonic RV31, about $300, plays MP3 and CDRW's. This will get him started and as we all know, the prices of DVD players are coming down. I don't think buying a progressive player right now is worth it, as he'd have to spend a lot more on his TV than budget would allow.
    Second, the receiver, this is pretty tough as there's alot of nice things to have in the new series of receivers available, DPL II, DTS-ES, etc. I'd say budget around $1,000 and that should get him into something that will do DD, DTS, with pre-outs. I can't emphasize how much I wish I had bought a reciever with pre-outs, that way I could add an external amp as a nice future upgrade.
    The Sony DB940, used to list for $1,000, could be a good buy as this should now be on discount as the new DB1070 is out and lists for $1,199. The Brick may carry this, FS doesn't.
    Marantz 6200 for $1,000 is another possibility. Online from Audioshop
    Third, speakers, tough decision as FS and Brick don't carry PSB, Paradigm, or Energy. However, Phil I is really big on the JBL N24 series speakers, which are available at. These are small bookshelf speakers and you could get 2 pairs plus the centre for $650. Then for the sub, you can go for a Velodyne CT120 for $600. I just checked, FS no longer lists it on their web site, but they may have some in the stores. So that's $1,250 for speakers and sub. Or for about $1,200 you could get an Energy Take5.2 set, through Audioshop as well.
    That leaves you with $1,300 for a TV, cables, speaker stands or mounts. FS carries the JVC D series so that may be somthing to consider.
    To summarize:
    DVD Player: Panasonic RV31 - $300
    Reciever: Marantz 6200 - $1,000
    Speakers: JBL N24, JBL NCTR, Velo CT120 - $1,250
    TV: 36" tube: JVC AV-36D502 - $1,600
    Total: $4,150 + 15% Tax = $4,772.50
    So that's a bit over the budget, plus you'll still have to factor in cable costs and speaker stands or mounts. However, those are before any bargaining on prices. The Marantz receiver is the only item that's a mail order price from Audioshop.
    ------------------
    Paul Wu
    "There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."
    Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.

4. Paul Wu

Are any of my replies getting through? Sorry if this is a repost. Will edit if it is.
    ----
    Deleted duplicate post.
    [Edited last by Paul Wu on September 24, 2001 at 03:00 PM]

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Its a house he's getting, so i dont think space is a huge factor in it...
    But paul, thanks alot for the reply, i think it'll do him much good... [​IMG] He lives in ottawa, so its an ugly 15% tax...
    He got a new house, and hes got $30,000 to spend, he budgeted around $4500 for a new HT, so i guess he could go over a bit.. [​IMG]
    I dont think he'd wanna do mail order, too bad... Thanks again...
    [Edited last by NickSo on September 24, 2001 at 11:10 PM]
    [Edited last by NickSo on September 24, 2001 at 11:16 PM]

6. Paul Wu

Ottawa you say? Why order online when you can visit the shop in person:
    http://www.audioshop.on.ca/
    ------------------
    Paul Wu
    "There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."
    Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.

7. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Nick,
    Audioshop is in Ottawa....a much better place to buy than from FS or the Brick IMO. I like PaulW's choices with Paradigm speakers (Mini Monitors front and rear with the matching centre CC-370) and a Sony SAWM-40 sub instead....if budget allows. Otherwise, change speakers to Paradigm Titans/Atoms with matching centre, same Sony SAWM-40. The Sony sub can be had for CDN$250 street (when sale priced at Brick or elsewhere). Also, depending on the viewing distance and if you want to increase the speaker budget, you could reduce the size to a 32 inch TV (Toshiba or JVC D-series are the most popular). The Sony DB receivers offer excellent value IMO (especially the discontinued DB940/DB840). Marantz SR7000 is another discontinued receiver that has been very well regarded.
    Dave

8. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    noone's said anything about Axiom speakers yet. i would put them on the same level with Energy, if not slightly above. they're a Canadian brand and are very good for the $ (so i've heard). i'm actually considering a set myself...
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    Click here to visit my webpage.

9. Stuart C

Stuart C Extra

I found the 'Brick' of all places to be very good for TV pricing. They will price match and you can often catch one of their "no tax" deals. Their web site often gives better pricing than the stores so you need to check it. When I bought my RPTV form them the web site was $700 less than the store tag, so they matched and I got no taxes as well.
    I agree you'll have to shop elsewhere for the rest of the system. Be sure to give the PSB Alpha's a listen. HiFi2000 often has deals on Onkyo and Marantz.

10. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Thomas,
    Indeed, they offer excellent value for the money. I've got the M50/VP100/M3 set and have been enjoying them for about three months now. In that time, I've grown quite fond of their sound. Being a budget-conscious HT enthusiast, they were right up my alley!
    Ron