Help my fridge is leaking

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MikeFR, Jul 8, 2003.

1. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

There seems to be an expert on any subject here at the HTF so hopefully someone knows something about fridges [​IMG]

As the subject says my fridge is leaking. The problem is that there is a thing at the back(inside the fridge) which is supposed to catch water that drips down from the freezer. But it is always full(i dont know where its supposed to go) so it slowly drips down the back of the fridge until there is enough water to leak out the front of the fridge onto my kitchen floor [​IMG] .

Anyone know what is causing this and if there is anything I can do about it without calling someone to fix it?

Thanks

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

3. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Thanks Ted I'll check that out.

4. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Mike,

I recently had a similar problem. The drips down the back of the fridge are normal and the pan (at the bottom of the fridge) is supposed to catch the drips and the heat of the motor evaporates it.

My pan used to fill up so much that it would constantly overflow before it evaporated. Sometimes I'd get water in between the fridge and the freezer and it would drip out the vents in the roof of the fridge part. Most days I'd open the fridge to see a huge puddle of water there [​IMG]

At first, I figured the angle of the fridge was off and that the water wasn't able to run down the back, so I tilted the front part of the fridge up and that didn't solve the problem. I also figured maybe my freezer was to blame, so I defrosted it and kept it off, but that didn't solve my problems.

My uncle works in refrigeration and he looked at it as well. He didn't see anything wrong, so I finally gave up and replaced it.

Good luck in figuring the problem out. Hopefully you can get it fixed and not have to replace it as I did.

5. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

I have a drip that is more toward the front of the fridge. I don't know anything about a drip pan. We have had a bowl over to the right front for years. The fridge seems to funcion just fine.

6. Cary_H

Cary_H Second Unit

If you haven't messed with any temperature settings, make sure food in the freezer isn't blocking the slots at the rear of the freezer. More importantly, see if there aren't signs of a poor seal between the freezer door and the face of the freezer.

7. BrettB

BrettB Producer

The water is condensate. Typically the condensate is collected in a drain pan (bottom, rear, outside the fridge) and there is a fan that blows on the drain pan to speed up evaporation.

8. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

Check the seals on the doors. Your fridge may be running too much for the evaporation of the wate to keep up. Also clean you coils. Older units may have them on the back. I think most of the newer units have them underneith. Just run your vaccuum cleaner over them. Should fix the problem.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    If you have a setting that says something like "door warmer" or "door heater" or "set here to reduce moisture on exterior," make sure that is set to "ON" during the summer (especially if your house is not air conditioned).

During hot weather, moisture can form on the exterior and/or around the door seals if the heaters are not activated.

Not sure if that would affect moisture dripping from inside the unit, though.

10. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

11. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor