What's new

Help my dad choose a new TV for around $2400 (1 Viewer)

JarrettB

Auditioning
I'm trying to help my dad get a new TV. He's looking at the 40" Sony XBR so we're in the $2400 ballpark. We're pretty much decided on a direct view, not projection, plasma or LCD.

So, my question is this: Go with the Sony, or are there some other options we should be considering? I've got an XBR and I'm very happy with it. We know about the weight issue, but we can deal with that. I just want to see if I'm missing anything obvious here.

Thanks in advance,

Jarrett

Gilbert_P

Stunt Coordinator
does your father not want the new 34xbr 910 direct view set with super fine pitch tube?

Jay McC

Agent
i own the 40"XBR and think its great.

If you're looking for an excellent picture, a little bit of the wow effect, and are using it as your primary work horse to watch broadcast televison as well as dvds then i say you won't be disappointed.

If you want another option, you might want to consider getting the 36" model with the fine pitch tube, save yourself $600 and put that money into another piece of equipment, or dvds.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I've always liked the picture quality of the KV-40XBR800; it's a great, if somewhat impractical at 300 pounds, set. However, I like the picture on the KV-34XBR910 even more. For once, you can believe the hype; that "super fine-pitch" aperture grill really does make a difference (and a big one at that).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks