What's new

Help! My computer won't boot up! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
I am at my wit's end. Here's the story...We just moved and had to switch ISP's. We decided to go through our phone company, SBC (Southwestern Bell). They sent me this software to set up an account through them and I go to install it. There were some technical difficulties (with their servers) and only some of the software gets installed. I end up having to reboot which happens without a hitch. I then install the software, get set up, and rejoice. I go to reboot a little later and it gets to the Windows 98 splash screen and hangs. I start it in safe mode and try to figure out what is causing it to hang. I go through the Windows 98 troubleshooting and nothing helps. I notice that under the device manager section, there is now a "Other Device" listed. I click on it and it says it is a "PCI Communication Device" which I assume is supposed to be a modem. Of course I don't have any drivers and the CD they sent me doesn't have any either. On top of that, my modem isn't a PCI modem. I click "remove" the "PCI Communication Device" and try to reboot. It still hangs at the same spot. The only way I can get it to boot without being in safe mode is to restore a previous registry. Therefore, if I want to get online I have to reinstall the software which puts me back where I was before. I have installed it, uninstalled it, you name it, I have done it.
I also called there tech support which told me I needed to update my modem driver. If that didn't resolve the issue, Microsoft would have to resolve it. Whatever! It worked fine until there software struck. Anyway, I updated my driver and I still have the same problem. Please, somebody help me! I would like to stay with them because of a deal were getting, but I would also like to be able to boot up. Again, please help me if you can.

Thank you.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
This doesn't fix the problem with the software, but why even use it? If you've already set up your account, just use the network and dial up connections wizard to connect to your ISP.
Granted, if you haven't set up the account yet and need the software to do so you'll have to get tech support to set it up manually, but either way you're really better off not using their sofware anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks