Help my brother out!! - HTIB recommendations.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip Hamm, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

My brother wants a HTIB for his NYC apartment. His requirements are as follows:
    • S-Video Switching for Aux sources
    • digital input for DD compatible Digital cable
    • Small footprint headunit, DVD+receiver in same small case
    • Available at local B&M

That's all I can think of.

When he originally asked about this, I recommended the Kenwood DVT-505 system. it does it all and Crutchfield's price is great.

His first system was broken - it slowed down the audio and video after the layer change. Crutchfield replaced it with another - video was totally fudged up on the second. Now, his third unit from Crutchfield has the same problem as the first one - the video and audio slow down. He has not been satisfied with their technical support and has decided to buy another one. He's doing some shopping today.

I feel terrible because I recommended the Kenwood system based on great things that I had read here about the Kenwood HTIBs, and it was a disaster.

I can't find anything else that can work for his situation. The closest is some of the lower end Sony Dream systems, but they only do composite switching.

(Aside: why the hell don't these things do S switching and have inputs?!?!?!?!??!?!? Everyday Joe Sixpacks have satellite. They have digital cable. They have TiVos and ReplayTVs.)

Please help him.

2. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

I know of no system that satisfies that many constraints.

However, if you're willing to relax the foot print constraint, consider the Onkyo HTS-650, available all over the place (for instance, Circuit City).

As a general rule, I shy away from the "all-in-one" units anyway. As to why few HTIB manufacturers include S-vid switching, it has something to do with the convenience vs. simplicity vs. price tradeoff. People who buy HTIBs rarely care about sound quality-- they're always looking at the size and shape of the speakers. Trying to talk to them about S-video switching is like trying to convince ice to spontaneously combust. (sorry-- bad day in the retail jungle)

Me

3. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

There's some discussion in another thread about the reciever that comes with the Onkyo 650 having problems with the subwoofer output. The speakers that come with the set (SKSHT-500 set, available separately for $275ish) are very nice, though.

Personally, I was searching around for a decent HTIB late last year and instead paid more for a separate reciever and speaker set and I'm much happier.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

A larger footprint or separate DVD player and receiver is not an acceptible option. He has furniture and a small NYC apartment. In the corner of the room he has a large computer workstation / home studio with B&W 601S2 speakers and many components already. This has to be small.

Looks like a Dream system and a Radio Shack S-Video switcher is the only option.[​IMG] At least he'll have SACD to play with! [​IMG]

I'm also looking at the combination of This JVC DVD/Receiver and the Acoustic-Research ACAR-HC4B Complete 6-Piece Home Theater Speaker System available from B&H Photo Video which is local to him.

5. pat_hamm

pat_hamm Auditioning

hello, I am the brother in question. My name's Patrick and I am new to the HTF.

Thanks everyone for you input! Last night I got the Sony DAV-C770 Dream System from J&R's in Manhattan. I got it set up late and since I have neighbors upstairs and downstairs, I couldnt' really try it out yet, but so far it seems good for me.

Let me make one thing clear though. in Phil's original post, he said:

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Thanks Pat, I thought that was tough to read. I think the Dream system will work well for you.

Plus you can play with SACD if you want.

7. Mitch Crawford

Mitch Crawford Auditioning

Patrick, if that Dream System does go south on you, do not hesitate to take it back and try out that Onkyo 650 HTIB. I sell the package in my store and it is a very decent unit. I feel it is the best bang for the buck under $700.00. A few months ago, I would have told anyone to stay away from HTIB systems. They really do not have th ability to provide the wow factor and the money would be better spent in purchasing some separate components. But... the Onkyo 650 really gave hope to the concept of HTIB. Good luck with the Sony.

Mitch Crawford