What's new

HELP my 1014 is clipping. (1 Viewer)

LuckyB

Agent
Everytime someone switches the bathroom lights off, the audio pauses for a split second. It's so annoying! :angry:
Tried different outlet, different powerstrip even UPS but still no good.
Any suggestions? :confused:

ChrisCan

Agent
Are your lights on the same circuit/breaker as your amp.
I read somewhere on another form where a guy was having a simaler problem as you and it was the switch for his lights. It was worn out and arcing when he flipped it up and down. Replacing the switch fixed it. Are your lights flourescent or incandecent?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
The switch may be doing what's called 'bouncing' and sending off a brief EMI pulse through the air. Now, if you're sure that that the bathroom light is not on the same circuit, you can try....
replacing the switch with a no-bounce one (try your local electrical supply store)
remaking your connections snugly
try capping off some of the unused inputs on the receiver with aluminum foil 'hats'.

On a side note, does this happen regardless of the source? What about if you play FM? Also, what kind of lights do you have in your bathroom?

I would have thought the UPS would have eliminated every possiblity except the airborne EMI pulse Chu mentioned. Definitely get the no-bounce switch, and, if at all possible, get the outlet on its own circuit if its not already.

LuckyB

Agent
The bathroom lights is hooked up to a set of fluoresent lights and exhaust fan at the same breaker. In order to reach different breaker outlet I would have to run at least a 50-foot extension cord which I don't think would be such a good idea.
I just noticed that it's doing that mostly when I'm watching cable TV. FM is almost never. DVD, not everytime.
Is it my cablebox? Scientific Explorer HD4200 directly to 30"LCD HDTV via DVI and digital coaxial to the receiver.
I went to my local Expo electronics today and saw $200 HT powerstrip. Are they worth to try?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I don't either but, if you did, it would probably rule out whether the glitches are airborne or coming down the wire. Temporarily just give that a try and see what happens.
To be continued...

ChrisCan

Agent
does the bathroom fan turn on automatically with the lights? If so the fan motor might be on its way out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks