Help moving existing hard drive and other tips on building my new machine

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris S, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I should have all of my hardware together by Friday so I can take this weekend to build the new machine. Are there any steps that I should be sure to take? For example at certain points do I need to stop and do some testing like listening for beeps or whatever? I am a little nervous about doing this so any help that could make this project go a little smoother would be really appreciated.

Also what is the best way to move my current HD into my new machine? Can I just uninstall all of the hardware from the Device Manager (btw- running Win2K) and just move the drive over, or do I need to format the drive and then move it over into the new machine?
    Thanks,
    Chris S.

PS- I left the specs at home and will post them later if that will help.

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

3. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Well the reason that I am using the existing drive is so that I can stay in my budget and still get the most for my upgrade. I am moving from a P3 800Mhz to an AMD 2000+ on a Abit Kx7-333R mobo. Can I not backup the data that I want onto a CDRW and then format the drive? It is a fairly decent drive (20 gig Western Digital @ 7200rpm) and I really don't want to buy a new one if I don't have to. Don't get me wrong I would love to move to a bigger, faster drive but I think my wife would kill me if I spent any more money on this thing. [​IMG]
    Chris S.

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

No, you are fine. Either build you sysstem and put in your HD and reformat in the new system or do that in your old one.
    Even without a HD attached you will be able to get to your bios on the new board.

Make sure you have a start up disc(floppy) .

I'm sure you know the steps rught!

1. reboot with floppy installed
    2. wait for command prompt
    3. type fdisk and press enter
    4. set primary partition(in the fdisk utility)
    5. type "format c: /s" without the brackets and press enter.
    6. type a label for the HD press enter
    7. reload Windows by typing "setup" press enter.
    this "setup" thing will only work with a full version I think, otherwise you'll need the full version so XP will OK the install.

Save everything you can onto CDR .... bookmarks, email, address book, any executable you've downloaded that you'd like on the new computer.

Brent