Help, Moving DIY subs/drivers.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ryan T, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Hi,

I have kind of an odd question. I have a 230 L sealed tempest and a 23L sealed Shiva. I'm gonna be moving to California soon and were have a company move our stuff. They are supposed to pack and transport everything so we don't have to do any work. My question is what should I do with my DIY subs? I think I want to take the drivers out on the enclosures and have them packed separately but i'm not sure. Heres the deal I have the original box my tempest was shipped in but nothing for the shiva. If the company packs my drivers they will be insured but if i pack them theres no insurance on them. So my question is should I A. leave the drivers in the enclosures and have them deal with it. B. take the drivers out and have them pack them individually. C. pack them myself and have them shipped uninsured. I'm leaning towords having the shipping company pack them so they will be insured but i'm still worried because I sincerely doubt the moving company has ANY idea how to safely pack a raw subwoofer driver with out causing serious damage to the cone, surrounds etc. If i have them pack um i'm going to take a bunch of pictures so I can prove they were in working order before they were shipped if and when they get damaged. I have my AV 1's also but i'm going to take out the drivers and crossovers and pack them in the original boxes and put them in a suit case and take it on the plane with my [​IMG]. Theres no way I'm gonna have someone try and figure out how to pack my AV 1's safely since they have no grills and such. If anyone has any ideas about the subs it would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

personally, i would carry each driver in my hands on the trip, have them beside you at all times. [​IMG]

when i moved my Subzilla to and from college i took all the hardware out of it, so it weighed 75 lbs less, so i could move it, and i had hand holds so i (yes I and i alone) could lift it. I put the driver and amp in the passenger seat and the enclosure in the UHual.

I have since added casters so it will be a lot easier on my back [​IMG]

3. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

I know exactly how you feel Allen cause i'm the same way. Maybe I could purchase a seat next to mine on the plane for my two sub dirvers hehe. I wish I could take the Tempest and Shiva with me but theres no room for them in my suit case [​IMG]. I think i'll probably just have to have the moveing company pack em up. At least they will be insured that way. Maybe I could get them to use the original Shipping carton the Tempest was sent in. At least I know it would be fairly safe in that. This kinda stinks cause I have my whole HT plus my PC that they are gonna pack and who knows how well they will pack the stuff. I have the original shipping carton for my H/K receiver that has the molded foam and double thick card board but i can't use it and have it shipped insured because they have to pack everything them selves (stupid if you ask me). I sure hope they have a half way competent guy packing my equipment or i'm gonna be pissed.

Ryan

4. Denis P

Denis P Extra

I would leave the driver in the enclosure. If you are worried about somebody poking through the packing box the sub is in and into the cone, you could cut a piece of Masonite the same size as the front (or on whatever surface your driver is mounted)and tape it to the enclosure, over the cone.

Your sub enclosure is almost certainly better protection for the driver than the original cardboard box or any packing material the moving company would use.

5. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

6. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Not to mention magnetic things and aircraft don't get along. You can't take them on a plane.

7. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Looks like my tempest driver is gonna stay in the 230 L enclosure [​IMG]. I might cut a piece of 5/8" MDF that will go over the front of the sub and protect the driver. I think i'm gonna sell my Shiva to good ol Nathan P so he will finally have a real subwoofer. Do you think I will have any problems with my AV 1 drivers/crossovers in a suit case on the airplane? The thing with the av 1's is the crossovers are not glued to the enclosure so I have to take them out no matter what. Also there is no grill on the AV 1's and the woofer has no cork thingy around it. So the rubber surrounds are fully exposed meaning nothing can be touching the front baffle without hitting the woofers cone or the tweeter. I could do the same thing as the Tempest and screw a piece of MDF over there baffels. I would have to make some spacers that would lift the MDF off the front so it wouldn't hit the drivers but it wouldn't be too hard to do. I'm just not sure I want to make hole in the beautiful enclosures Brian Bunge made me [​IMG]. I guess the holes could be sanded and filled later on. This moving stuff is complected.