What's new

HELP mounting driver QUICK!!!!! (1 Viewer)

James Slade

Second Unit
I finished my Shiva sub today. I mounted the driver using a driver mounting kit from Parts Express. Three of the little T-nuts kept pulling out, I used all of the t-nuts. So now I have the properly spaced holes for the Shiva. I am thinking the best option is anchors and screws (in the same holes)at this point!!! The cabinet is MDF

Opinions?!!?!?

I am going nuts waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing you didn't include an inner 1/4" layer of plywood for the driver baffle? It's truly the best way o give the t-nuts something to dig into (MDF is not to be used with t-nuts). Are you glueing the t-nuts to the inside surface?

James Slade

Second Unit
I tried adding some liquid nails but it didn't help. Maybe I just want to screw it down too tight. But the sealing caulk wasn't smooshed down enough to make a seal. Damn another night without a sub!!!

A

Anthony_Gomez

I agree with Pat. MDF alone isn't good with T-nuts. I personally use gorilla glue to hold them down. The glue foaming up and around the nuts really secures them well. ...just have to be carefull not to foam threw the threading=)

ArmenK

Stunt Coordinator
would it be ok to use 3/4" plywood in a sonotube on top of 1.5" of mdf? Or should i stick to 1/4"? I have some 3/4" plywood and wanted to put it to use

James Slade

Second Unit
The thicker the plywood the better, it will help with stiffness. Just make sure you do your volume calculations correctly, accounting for the thickness used and the amount in the tube!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ArmenK

Stunt Coordinator
I should take tube volume, subtract volume of endcaps, port and driver right? For the tempest how much volume would I subtract? I havent seen any specification for volume on the tempest white papers, maybe i missed it

James Slade

Second Unit
On page three of the Tempest white paper section 1.2.2 DRIVER DISPLACEMENT.

"For enclosure calculations, Tempest displaces 5 liters (305 cubic inches)"

I am also building a Tempest Sonotub after the Shiva sub. Actually it is half built but I need an amp!!!

Good Luck!!!!

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
I've never had a problem with tnuts in MDF before, but the next time I make something, I think I will use the threaded inserts.

Greg P

Stunt Coordinator
I have a BP 1503 Im mounting in an MDF cube. Should I use those threaded inserts? Im kind od clueless about the procedure. Could anyone help?

A

Anthony_Gomez

I don't know how the inserts hold in MDF. I have the 1503's as well and used t-nuts. Just read the lessons learned in this thread about t-nuts:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks