Help? MiniDV via Coax on an inputless TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Silberman, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Greg Silberman

Greg Silberman Auditioning

Hello
    A freind just calle dwith an intresing problem. He wants to be able to output the image from a miniDV camera to a television that only has antenna and a coax connection. The TV is only 3 years old but apparently does not even have a composite input.
    I believe it is his parents TV and the suggsion buy a better TV, while accurate, is not very helpful in this situation.
    Is there a composite to coax converter?
    Thanks
    ------------------
    Gregory P. Silberman
    [email protected]

2. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

It's called an RF modulator and is available from your friendly neighborhood Target, Radio Shack, etc. for less than $30. I use one on all my vacations to get video up on the hotel TVs.
    [Edited last by Drew Eckhardt on November 06, 2001 at 06:49 PM]

3. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

How do these things work? If you have the converter going into the RF input on the TV, how can you get a cable television signal? Or is there a switcher on it that allows you to switch back and forth?
    Right now I'm in a situation where I have a television with only an RF input, and a DVD player (from my computer with a TV out card). Until now, the only way I could connect it was through my vcr, except I get distortion from most DVDs' macrovision encoding.
    Todd K.

4. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

I think the one in my gear bag has a pass-through connection for Antenna/Cable which is active when there's no signal. Otherwise, you can run a $9.95 manual switch box. DVD via RF modulator on one input, VCR on the other.

5. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

With an RCA to "F" adapter you could also use an old Nintendo RF switch box if you have one lying around.