What's new

Help. Might buy TV tomorrow, 2 to choose from (1 Viewer)

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
With BestBuy running a 24 month no financing offer beginning tomorrow thru Labor day for Reward Zone members, I’m likely to go pick up a TV tomorrow. The 2 sets I am considering are the new tabletop Toshiba 46h83 or the Mitsubishi Table top 42 inch set. I can’t remember the model number; it’s a BB exclusive model similar to the WT42311. Anyhow, I wanted to check with the trusted HTF crowd before taking the plunge. I’m leaning toward the Toshiba since it has DVI, is larger, and was the same price last I looked. It just has to fit into my Entertainment Center, and I think it will with some minor modifications (To the Entertainment Center that is.)
Anyone have strong feelings either way about either choice? Thanks!

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
Have you considered front projection? I own a 2-1/2 yr old Toshiba HD RPTV and a 3-month old Panasonic PT-L200U front projector. If you watch a lot of DVDs and HDTV the FP would have much more impact for a lower price. If ambient daytime lighting is a problem, you could buy an Infocus X1 for DVDs and HDTV and a 32" or 36" flat screen Toshiba direct view CRT for daytime viewing for less than either RPTV you mentioned. You wouldn't have to hack up your entertainment center to fit the smaller tube TV and could ceiling mount a pull-down screen in front of it for FP viewing.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
Bob

I've never considered an FP for this particular room, my family room. There would be an issue of ambient light, but worse I'm not sure where I would put an FP. There is a large ceiling fan that dominates the ceiling and is smack in the middle of the room, right where I would guess a FP would need to go. Alas... one day I'll have a dedicated HT room an then I'll be all over an FP, hopefully a DLP set.

So back to rear projectors; anyone else have any thoughts? Which has the best stretch modes? I'm sure both will look great with HD and DVD but what about standard Directv?

Adam Hood

Auditioning
go with the 46" toshiba h83. It's a better set all around and the TV that Best Buy carries, the mitsubishi, is the 42313, a silver series. You are much better off with the Toshiba. Also take advantage of the DVI input on the Toshiba by getting the new Samsung DVD player that up converts 480p into 1080i/720p. I'm not sure if the DVI cable comes with the unit or not, i would imagine a cheap one does. The current sale price at Best Buy is 283.99.

Adam Hood

Auditioning
oh and the sku # for it at best buy incase they don't know that they have it yet is 5690861. Give them that number if you decide to get that DVD player

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the tip Adam. I'm heading out tonite to take a last look and some measurements. I'm 99% sure I'd go with the Tosh.

As for the DVD, Well, I bought the Denon 2900 the weekend it hit the shelves, so I'm set for a while. I'm just looking forward to finally see how it plays via its prog scan outputs.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
Just got back from BB and unless my financial advisor backs out on me a the last minute, it looks like I'll be getting the Toshiba tomorrow. It's marked down to $1472.99, plus I'll get the 24 mos. no interest, plus I'll get a ton of rewards points.

I'll probably get it professionally calibrated in a month or so. I'm pretty stoked.

As an aside, I almost had to laugh when the sales guy gave me the hard sell on Monster component cables. Having read the many heated debates about cables on this forum and the general feeling toward Monster (good but way over priced) I'll likely just get the AR they sell at BB or good ol' Shack Golds.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I find only the lower-end monster cables to be a reasonable price and after that they are very overpriced.

As for the TV, the Mitsubishi's don't really start to get good until you hit there higher-end models. There silver series is still a good series but unless you are look at a big-screen silver series 50" and up then you will get a better deal with the Toshiba.

I also looked at something like that Toshiba you were looking at, a very nice set I must say.

Users who are viewing this thread