What's new

Help me!!! (1 Viewer)

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i have been reading everything i can here on the boards and still cannot make up my mind. my HT room is 17'x 17' with 8' ceilings, but is open to the bathroom, 2 bedrooms and the dining room, so i'm not sure exactly what i need, but i want the same earth shattering bass everyone else wants. i have been in constant contact with the people from stryke and adire, but would like to hear your opinions. i roughly want to spend around $800 or less on the components not including the building supplies. i was thinking an AV15 w/ 2 18" PR's from stryke and their $170 350W plate amp in a 24" cube. this comes out to $675 not including shipping. on the other hand, i could build a dual tempest ported or sealed enclosure with 350W to each for $640. but to tell you the truth, i've never built a sub before and don't really know anything about it. all i know is i want bass just like all the svs guys have except better, and cheaper. any help or suggestions?

thanks,

eric

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator
You have as choices:

1. single AV-15 with PR's and single amp
2. dual ported tempests with dual amps

I would add:

3. dual ported AV-15's with dual amps

option 3 would be $750 for parts.

I just finished a ported AV-15 on the amp350 for a friend. his room is 16x20 with 10ft ceilings and is completely open to the dining room and kitchen (I would guess another 16x20 with 10ft ceilings.). The single sub does pretty darn good.

If you could afford more, I would go with a good prosound amp over a pair of the plate amps, but it would put you up around $1100 if you went with something like the QSC PLX-2402. The single AV-15 we built has a lot more output on my QSC amp over the plate amp!!!

Brian

Eric Eash

Second Unit
yeah, i've heard about the pro amps, just don't think i could wing it. what are the differences between PR setups and ported. from everyone i've talked to, they say to go the PR route. thanks for the help brian.
eric

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator
The main benefit of PR's is to take the place of ports when the port length becomes too long to fit in the enclosure. Not sure of other benefits, but I know I have read posts of people liking the sound of PR's over ported. I think ported sounds great when built correctly (thanks to this forum, the members, and a couple of other forums, I can now build a ported design that sounds good!!).

Do you have a maximum enclosure size you can deal with? The AV-15 we just built is 8.25 ft^3 with a 6" x 22.5" port. It is a sonotube design.

Brian

Eric Eash

Second Unit
okay, so i've been researching pro amps and i think the samson series S1000 or the S1500 could be what i'm looking for. i have sourced a samson S1000 for around $350 brand new, and if i hook it up to a ported dual AV15 enclosure, that would give 500watts to each driver. sounds like a good amp. cheaper than dual plate amps. thinking about one big sub box with downfiring drivers and multiple ports, anyone want to design it for me? also, thinking about adding an art equalizer from svs to it. any and all thoughts are appreciated.

eric

Eric Eash

Second Unit
should i pay to have someone design a box for me. i've tried using a couple of box design programs, but they are a little over my head. are there any programs out there that are a little simpler to use?

eric

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
You could alway email, call, or IM John Janowitz(owner of Stryke) for some recomendations.

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 920-469-9198
AOL IM: Stryke23x
MSN Messenger: [email protected]

I just received my two AV15. I plan on putting each one in their own enclosure. Each one will be around 8ft^3 tuned to 18hz with a single 8" port in each. I have a Samson S1500 to power them.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
thanks frank. would the 750watts from the S1500 to each AV15 be too much? i was under the impression that the AV15 could only take 500watts. the S1500 is only $100 more than the S1000 and has 500 extra watts! i have been talking to john, but i think i've done too much asking and not enough buying (or you could say none). not sure about building two boxes though, i think i'm just going to build one big sub.

eric

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
When I've talked to John, he said you could safely put 1000 watts through it. Although it also greatly depends upon the enclosure details as to whether extra power would be beneficial. Between the S1000's 1000 watts and the S1500's 1500 watts, there's not going to be a big difference, it will only amount to 1.5dB more output. You should take that into account as to whether you think 1.5dB is worth $100 more. I only got the amp because I found a good deal on it.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
yeah, ebay has some good deals on the samson amps, it will depend upon how much i have to play with. most likely i'll use that extra cash on an equalizer or building materials. can't wait to get started though. recieving money as we speak.

eric

Eric Eash

Second Unit
okay, last question before i make my purchase. for my diy sub design, the drivers will be facing down and it will be ported. besides being a sweet looking driver, is the AV15 $55 better than the tempest in your personal opinion. i'm not on such a tight budget that the extra cash is a big deal, but if their is no need then i'd like to know.

eric

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i've heard so many great things about both, but am in another country so actually doing some hands on testing is not that easy. anyone have experience with both?

eric

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

It depends on how much power you want to put into it and the chosen alignment. Will you reach the excursion limits of the Tempest w/your Samson amp? If so, then the AV15 is worth the money. If not, maybe you'll want to upgrade to a larger amp in the future. I think for most people dual Tempests would be more than enough(can displace as much as as the Tumult). IMO, for a little more the AV15's are worth it for the sake of future proofing. Oh yeah, the AV15's can work in a smaller box than the Tempest as well.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hey Frank

Off subject, but I see you have your Para and (H/K 520-top shelf) on your left rack. Is it a tight fit and where you able to get all your cabling plugged in without modifacation of the rack or the use of RCA/TOS/ETC, elbos?

Dose the H/K's face hang over the front of the rack & if so how much, is it flush, or just slightly back which would even be better???

This is very tough to tell from the front shot pic's.?

I have 2 of the same racks in the bedroom currently and this has been a big concern as to if the H/K-520 or 525 would sit at least flush with the front of the rack.

We'l be running 3-seperate Carver or AS 2-channel amps with what ever receiver we go with. The 520 or 525 is the preferd choice if it fits properly on he top shelf like it apears your dose...

Any info you could give me on how it fits, or mods you may have made to make it fit would be extremly appreciated.

On the sub side:
So what happen to the push pull idea for your first gen SVS drivers??

Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks