1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

help me

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Donnie R, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Donnie R

Donnie R Agent

Can someone help me choose a nice reciever for under $600 that has at least 6.1 capabilities and at least 3 or 4 optical inputs. I have searched for so long and I cannot narrow down to what i feel are the best ones. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Donnie

2. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

My problem was finding a quality receiver with 6.1 preamps, comp video ins/outs and 3-4 optical inputs, and keeping it below $500. Pioneer and Kenwood seemed to be the only choice at first, but I finally ran across the Yamaha RX-V640. It's $499, but I chewed Tweeter down $60.

It has everything you need: 2 component video ins and one out, 6.1 channel inputs for DVD-A or SACD, 6.1 channel preamps, 3 optical inputs on back, 1 optical input on front, and one coaxial input on back. Tons of other goodies as well. Since you're price range is up to $600, you could step up to the RX-V740 which adds 5 watts more per channel, a slightly better remote, and on-screen-display.

I am very happy with my RX-V640. It was a vast improvment over my old Pioneer.

3. Donnie R

Donnie R Agent

thanks for the help Lee. I was also looking for some of the same features. How does everyone think the Sony STR-DA2ES stacks up to the yamaha Lee mentioned.

thanks again

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Don't get the DE line from sony. Only ES.

There are lots of solid recievers out there for $600 or less, from Denon, HK, Marantz, Onkyo/Integra, Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, Yamaha, Outlaw, etc. etc.

I have the Marantz 5300, should be under 600, awesome unit, and has all the functions i need, with very solid sound quality to boot.