What's new

Help me with shelving (1 Viewer)

Chad_Henry

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I'm under loads of pressure from the wife to finish up the bedroom HT. (To be honest it's barely even started.) Basically she's wondering why we have all this equipment still sitting in boxes 18 months after we finished construction on the new place.

So, I need ideas on shelving for the equipment. The intent is to put all the equipment on shelves in the corner of the room and feed the runs to the TV up into the attic and down into the wall behind it. I've got all the plans laid out with the exception of the shelves.

For WAF I can't really do the standard crappy Home Depot shelf brackets and I sort of promised we'd put the stuff up on the wall so a rack is out. Obviously I need something deep and strong but not ugly.

I'm completely open to suggestions since I'm drawing a blank on things. Any ides here guys?

JohnRage

Auditioning
Are you looking for speaker wall mounts?

try partsexpress.com

good prices and losts of options.

Chad_Henry

Stunt Coordinator
No, not speaker wall mounts. I need to come up with an elegant way of mounting shelves that can hold the receiver, DVD player, DTV reciever, etc.

I need something that looks good and can hold the weight of the stuff. Obviously the reciever is the main concern weightwise.

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this home improvement
show where they bolted a 2x4 horozontally to the studs. Then they built a box out of plywood. The 2x4 fit snugly inside the box, and was then fastened together. They did this in a corner, but I don't see why it wouldn't work in your situation.

Unfortunately that link doesn't show a picture of the finished shelf. It does show the TV that went under the shelf and the components that will likely rest on top of it.

JohnRage

Auditioning
I made a corner shelf at the back of my home theater and it turned out well.
I put a piece of molding on the front of the shelf to cover the wood end. You could easily add molding on the sides and across the top to make it even more presentable.

I cant post links yet but if you put www in front of this URL you can see a picture of my corner shelf.

ragersworld.com/media4.jpg

Chad_Henry

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,

That would be exactly what I'm looking for if it were a bit stronger. Unfortunately for me the weight limit per shelf is 15 pounds, the bedroom receiver is a Denon 1804, it weighs close to 30 pounds.

I'm going to poke around the site though, hopefully there are other options.

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
Sorry that didn't help Chad. There aren't many equipment racks that mount to a wall out there. You may have too build one yourself, or adapt a free standing floor rack for the job.

You could take something like the Wood Technology AR-3E at rackandstands.com (just an example), remove the wheels, and mount it to the wall at the appropriate height. I'd lag bolt a 1" x 3" strip directly underneath the unit; this would support most of the weight. Then use 3" deck screws, in two rows, to screw the back of the rack to the wall. Make sure you hit the studs. Hopefully the rack comes unassembled and you can put it together using both the supplied fasteners and wood glue.

Just paint the 1" x 3", (and the screw heads if they bother you), black to match and nobody will know the difference. One last thing; you may want to shore up the rack itself with extra screws and bracing if you think it is needed.

This will work but I wouldn't want to be the one who had to wire up the system :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks