Help me with my first system

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tim Holyoke, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Nov 6, 2002
    I'm a complete newb to HT, and would like to piece together a system. Would something like the Athena AS-B1s or the Klipsch SB1s be good for starters? Could I just use 4 of them, 2 for rears? And how necessary would a center and sub be? I also obviously need a receiver, and would like something that will be adequate if and when I upgrade in the future.

I could also go with something like an Onkyo 570 or even 770 HTiB I guess, but actually the less I spend the better, as long as I'm getting at least decent quality. I'm sure the Onkyo HTiBs would be the easiest, but if I can mix and match things and get a better system for the same $$$, I'll do it.

So, what would you recommend? Thanks a lot.

2. Ramon A

Ramon A Agent

Mar 30, 2004
    tim if cheap and good is what you need you can get a great package from cambrige sound works. for about $400 or $500
    you get 5 matched speakers a sub and a sony receiver.
    I dont think you can get a better set up for less.
    and no 4 speakers will not work and yes you do need a sub.
    but more important befeor you set any of it up, go to dolby labs website and look at the diagram for proper placement of your speakers, as far as i am concerned, proper placement is the most important thing. then speaker quality, then receiver.
    and since dolby engineered most of the sound you hear in movies i think you can trust there advice on speaker placment.