What's new

Help me with my first system (1 Viewer)

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
I'm a complete newb to HT, and would like to piece together a system. Would something like the Athena AS-B1s or the Klipsch SB1s be good for starters? Could I just use 4 of them, 2 for rears? And how necessary would a center and sub be? I also obviously need a receiver, and would like something that will be adequate if and when I upgrade in the future.

I could also go with something like an Onkyo 570 or even 770 HTiB I guess, but actually the less I spend the better, as long as I'm getting at least decent quality. I'm sure the Onkyo HTiBs would be the easiest, but if I can mix and match things and get a better system for the same $$$, I'll do it.

So, what would you recommend? Thanks a lot.

Tim

Ramon A

Agent
tim if cheap and good is what you need you can get a great package from cambrige sound works. for about $400 or $500
you get 5 matched speakers a sub and a sony receiver.
I dont think you can get a better set up for less.
and no 4 speakers will not work and yes you do need a sub.
but more important befeor you set any of it up, go to dolby labs website and look at the diagram for proper placement of your speakers, as far as i am concerned, proper placement is the most important thing. then speaker quality, then receiver.
and since dolby engineered most of the sound you hear in movies i think you can trust there advice on speaker placment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks