What's new

Help me with JBL S312 (1 Viewer)

John Heo

Auditioning
I got a pair of S312 at eBay. One of them has a big dent on it, and produces no sound from the high-frequency driver. And the other one produce "hissing sound" from the same part.

Because I'm naive at HT, I don't even know what the problem is... Please help me out to figure it out, and fix it.

Thanks for your help in advance,
John H.
:b

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
And the other one produce "hissing sound" from the same part.
Sounds defective & damaged!

Was the speakers in a Fresh Sealed MFG. Box from JBL? or used?? Generally, new speakers come out of the MFG. box working based on JBL QC process.

Hate to be a bearer of bad news but it sounds like you got a couple of lemons that need repair and/or replacement!

Since you didn't list the eBay source you purchased it, my recommendation is to contact the seller and submit your request for another working set.

Hope this helps,
Phil

John Heo

Auditioning
Thank you, Phil.

Sorry for the unclear question... To clarify my question, the bottom of a speaker cabinet has a big dent. And the tweeter on the speaker that has a dent produces no sound...

Question 1: Do you know where I could get my speaker fixed? I don't think my speaker can be covered by the warranty given by JBL. Moreover, I don't have JBL's service center near my place.

Question 2: I've seen the post that says the hissing sound from tweeters are normal. Is it true?

THanks,

:b

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Before you try and repair them I would try what Phil and have the "self-repair" as a resort. (nothing to lose option)

The cabinet dent is probably cosmetic unless JBL puts their electronics down there but I think they mount them on the back wall. If there's an air leak you could probably seal it with clear silicone caulk.

As for the tweeter, they hiss depending on the equiptment plugged into them. If the hiss isn't very noticeable at low volumes and 5-10 feet away then there probably isn't anything wrong.

JBL uses allen socketed screws to mount their speakers, the easiest way to inspect them would probably be to unscrew the drivers and peak inside and look at the connections and components.

Who knows, it could be an easy fix, or perhaps some capacitor broke or something small is fried on the crossover board preventing feed to the tweeter I don't know. Maybe the speakers fell which caused a vibration to simply loosen a connection to the tweeter?

Again, If there's no warranty and they were sold as is then I'd at least give them an inspection.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Question 1: Do you know where I could get my speaker fixed?
You can do it yourself via JBL Customer support website.
Here's the following available Parts you can purchase, based on S312 Black Ash...
Part Number: Description: Price: Availability Date
335151-001 WOOFER,12" S312,S412P(936,22526) $161.60 10/12/02
335404-001 O/M S26,S38,S310,S312 (936) $12.63 10/12/02
335412-001 NETWORK S312 $51.35 10/12/02
335439-001 MIDRANGE 4" 102204I S38,S310,S312 (936) $49.50 10/12/02
335663-001 TWEETER, S26,PC600, (Use335663-002 ) $56.40 10/12/02
Looks like they just updated this section today! If all the other options don't pan out, just go to JBL customer support website and fill-out the JBL DO-IT-YOURSELF CENTER section.
If you have any specific question - email JBL customer support.
Hope this helps,
Phil

John Heo

Auditioning
I'm very happy to be here with you guys! Now, I feel very comfortable with the problems. Thanks a lot~!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Hey John,

I would contact the seller and see if he can refund your money or give you a replacement pair. I sell and buy alot on ebay and most sellers are good people. They really want to avoid negative feedback especially if selling is a full time business for them.

If you win an auction that says you're getting working speakers, you should get nothing less. If he doesn't want to do anything, threaten to report him to ebay safe harbor's team and threaten to contact his local authorities about internet fraud.

John Heo

Auditioning
I've tried to contact the seller and asked the refund...
However, they evaded my issues and suggested only $30 refund... !!
:angry:
Moreover, they are using very ambiguous expressions like "new"(Very big letter) open box (extremely small letter). I wouldn't tell you who it was... but the seller was a LIER. Folks! be careful with small letters on the auction. Sellers on the auction seem like to try to mislead people rather than give precise information ...
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks