Help me with B&W CM2's please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_F, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Brian_F

Brian_F Auditioning

I have been thinking about getting the cm2's as my front speakers and cm center channel as well. They sound great in the mids and highs. I know the 602s have better bass but those things are a little too big for my taste right now. Does anyone else have an opinion about this new very attractive looking series from B&W (CM series) ??? Im on the verge of dropping some dough and would like to get a little more feedbaclk from others. Thanks for the help!

2. Travis Braddy

I'm really close to getting a CM setup as well. I'm going with CM4's for the front, with the CMC and CM2 and an SVS sub rounding it out. I really enjoy the way they sound. Earlier this year, I owned 604S2s, while they were nice and had deep bass, they lacked a certain tightness in music that I was looking for. The CM4s, while not so bass-laden, had a really nice, crisp sound, I can't wait to get them. Plus, their size is just right for my room. Can't ignore the beautiful looks either.

3. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

They have received some less than enthusiastic reviews in some of the UK mags. Check out the new What Hifi which has a floorstander shootout. They usually don't diss on things hard, but in this case it was definitely a "looks over performance" for B&W. I too like the looks, making this very disappointing.
    The KEF Ref One-Two won the shootout I believe...Dynaudio received a "looks poor, but performs great" review.

4. ThucN

ThucN Agent

I listened to the CM2s, along with the cheaper 602s and more expensive CDM 1NTs. Here is my take these speakers, and how they compare to each other.
    The 602s were not as crisp sounding as the other two pairs. The midrange detail was good, but mid/upper treble was not as strong.
    The CM2s were as different sounding than the 602s as any two speaker models could be. The CM2s were very crisp, but were too forward sounding for my tastes. Also, there was this "echoey" effect that the CM2s had that none of the other speakers in the same room had. With these speakers, I could easily envision great detail but quick listening fatigue.
    Lastly, I listened to the CDM 1NTs. These were clearly superior (as they should be for the price). The 1NTs had the midrange of the 602s but the top end detail of the CM2s. This meant a full-bodied sound with good treble detail and extension.
    So does that mean I ended up with the 1NTs? Not quite. As good as the 1NTs were, they had one fault - peak in the upper midrange that made some voices sound harsh. To make a long story short, I ended up with a similarly (compared to the 1NT) sized and priced PMC speaker.
    ------------------
    TqN

5. Travis Braddy

Well, I just bought my speakers. And they weren't the CMs. The salesman knew my problem with the 604S2s, so he asked me if I had considered the 603s. I hadn't honestly thought much about it, but we went and gave them a listen, and I fell in love with the sound. They seem to have a richer sound than the CM4s, but they lacked the boominess I experienced with the 604s. So, I bought them, and since they were a good bit cheaper than the CM4s, I was able to get the CC6S2 at the same time. Now, here's the strange part... I own DefTech ProCinema 100s, I just checked out the multichannel stuff for giggles, but on 5ch stereo, they blended rather well. Strange. I usually only mess with music in 2ch, but when I get around to testing movies tomorrow, I bet they perform well. Or well enough for me to save up my money for the SVS before I buy 601s for the rear.
    Anyways, the main music I tested the speakers with tonight was Martin Tillman's cello project, Eastern Twin and the sonic superstar, Depeche Mode's Exciter. We all know about cello music, Eastern Twin throws in a few great surprises, but Exciter is rather amazing to listen to. Layers of synth and guitar wrap around Gahan's lush vocals, it runs the full range of effects too, from deep, musical bass beats to the crispest of highs, and the 603S2s made it a religious experience.
    I have to say, I haven't been this happy in a long, long time, my setup just sounds fabulous, I thought I'd never find something that made my room sound good.
    I know this probably doesn't help you much with your situation, but I'd agree with the above post, give the CDM 1NTs a try as well, I didn't mess with them too much, but I was impressed with how they sounded (I just really wanted a floorstander), the CM2s weren't hooked up yet, so I can't comment on those.