What's new

Help me with a TV purchase (1 Viewer)

Matthew Z

Auditioning
Hi

I am looking to buy a new TV. My critera are that the set has to be HD.
The screen has to be from 37"to 46" and no thicker than 6"
and the price be under $4k.

Now im pretty sure I don't need the Tv to have the HD tuner because my cable box supposedly puts out an HD signal.

Here's what i will be doing with the Tv:
1: most of the time watching cable (NY cablevsion subscriber)
2: Watching DVD's (will want a new HDMI DVD player)
3: playing Video Games (PS2, Gamecube)

Any help or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit

Strictly speaking that's true. But there are major advantages to having a TV with the tuners built-in so you can get the over-the-air broadcast HD content. The flexibility is worth something, tho' just how much only you can judge.

Another factor to consider is how the TV handles a standard def signal. Most of what's on the cable and all current DVDs will not be HD and that's going to remain the case for quite some time. Be careful not to just pick the TV based on how it looks with an HD input only to discover that you liked a different one better with SD signals. Theoretically, there shouldn't be a significant difference but in practice it appears that there can be.

In that size range plasma is probably most common right now with LCDs typically a bit more expensive at a given size. However, LCD's are getting more competitive in those sizes and has one major advantage in that it won't burn in. The latest generation of plasma's is very good here but "very good" isn't quite "the same as". Conversely I didn't like LCDs for the larger screens because of the so-called screen door effect. We ended up with one of each, a 20" LCD in the bedroom and a large plasma in the family room/part-time home theater. Love them both.

Matthew Z

Auditioning
I found some tv's that might fit my critera
any feedback on these would be appreciated

Hitachi 42HDT52

PIONEER PDP-4350HD

PANASONIC TH-42XVS30U

H&B HP-4200B-N

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks