Help me with a roast

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ToddS, Dec 26, 2001.

1. ToddS

ToddS Stunt Coordinator

Hi All

I have been asked to speak at a roast for one of my dear friends on her 30th Birthday so any insults you can throw my way would be greatly apprecitated.

Thanks

2. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

Oops. I thought you were cooking. Sorry.

3. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I want a double roast when I turn 30,the roast you are referring to and a huge hog in a pit.

Without knowing the person it is kind of hard to insult them though.

4. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Comedy Central is having the Friar's CLub roasts every night this week at 10:00 CST. Might want to tune in... that's some pretty damned good stuff.

5. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

I've done a few in recent years ... here's what worked for me.

1) Top 10 lists ... for example try "Top 10 ways the world will be different after ______ turns 30"

2) Spencer gifts at any mall has some funny gag gifts ... if nothing else, you can get ideas.

3) Get a goofy photo of your victim, scan it & print to inkjet iron-on transfers ($10), then put it on a T-shirt. A few months ago, I made up a gag-logo for a new clothing line using an old college roommates headshot. Photo's with old boyfriends/girlfriends are also usually pretty embarrasing.

4) Bring the victim to the front of the room and make them wear something goofy throughout the presentation ... like a grass skirt or a beer-drinking hat.

The best one I ever did, was an entire mockup of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" on PowerPoint with sound and animation. I used a borrowed data projector and wrote up 10 gag questions ... it was a hoot, everyone was cracking up!

Another good one was when I used famous photos and inserted images of my victim into the photo's. Build a story around it. if you're low tech, you can do this with scissors, tape and a copier (we presented with slides 5 years ago). But you could really do a killer job with a scanner, photo-editor and data projector. Once I did a Mafia story and I wore an FBI hat. IN the end, I showed my victim's face on a shot of the Pope ... good one for a catholic audience!

Have fun and remember to use your best joke first. Once you get the crowd laughing ... it's easier to keep it going.

Scott

6. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Just a couple:

Guess you'll start getting social security now.

I heard you went out for a night on the town last night. So how did you at bingo?