What's new

Help Me Welcome New Brother-in-Law to Family (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
My sister-in-law is getting married in a few months. No one in the family has really gotten to know her fiance very well; they've been together for about a year, and he's somewhat reserved and difficult to get to open up.

Anyway, as the family's resident practical jokester, I'm looking for a funny but not potentially disastrous joke or something that I can pull off, just to sort of break the ice and welcome him to the clan. Someone has suggested the 'women in the audience with John Doe's apartment keys, please return them now' speech for the wedding reception, but I don't think that's a good idea.

Suggestions?

Thanks. :D

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
At a wedding NEVER discuss prior relationships, even in jest. Remember, the day is all about the BRIDE. The groom is just there to make her look good.

My own 5 brother-in-laws were cruel enough to me. I never met them until two days before the wedding. (1000 miles away) My first experience with them was at the bachelor party the threw for me two nights before the wedding:

Tell me - just what is protocol when the 5 guys whos little sister you will be marrying soon are paying big bucks for the girls at a strip-club to entertain you? Now that I know them more I can appreciate how much they enjoyed watching me squirm.

Some harmless fun ideas for him:

1) The night of the wedding rehearsal, give the priest/pastor $10 to have them recite custom 'vows'. 'I promise a lifetime of servitude obeying her every whim and desire. I promise to massage her feet twice daily".. etc.

2) 'Help Me' on the bottom of shoes. Golden oldie.

3) If he is up to it... get a photo of him. Got to a strip club the night before with it and find out what girls will be working the next night. Give them each $10 and ask them when they see him with you to say to him "Johnny (or whatever his name is) How have you been! You want your usual spot? Hows your mom? etc. You can look at him and say "I thought this would be a one time treat, I had no idea you were a REGULAR here.." Look disgusted when you say it.

Good luck

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

If that's the type, a joke/prank would probably not be appreciated. In fact, you'd probably be immediately written off in his mind as the family jerk.

People of this type are not known for their easy-going, laugh-it-off qualities.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
I met my future brother in law for the first time a few months ago. I knew he was coming over and I had a vague description of him, so when I heard the knock on the door I opened it and in my nastiest scowl barked "What do you want?!?". He was a bit taken back, but recovered well. We've gotten along great ever since (probably because we live 2000 miles apart), but I already knew that he had a sense of humor before I did it.

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
Just don't do what my best friend (who also is my brother in law) did to our wife's sister's boyfriend. We were all together for a family picnic and my friend and I asked the boyfriend if he targets shoots. He said no. And I said "thanks okay we need a new target anyway." I laughed he laughed and my friend laughed. Come to find out we scared the crap out of him, and he wouldn't come to any more family get togethers and finally broke up with my sister-in-law. OOOPPSS..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks