What's new

Help me watch the Terminator films (1 Viewer)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
John, the picture on the EE is hands down better, no doubt about it. And yes, it does have the theatrical version available as well as an easter egg (at the opening menu, click right 6 times and it comes up). It also has the (first ever) commentary by Cameron, and it's a great one.

That having been said, the extras on the UE are outrageous. I bought the disc with my DVD player 3 years ago and I'm still going through them. Some really cool stuff.

Basically, if the movie is what you're interested in, the EE is the way to go. For the true Terminator fanatic (you know who you are :D ), both discs are a required purchase!

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
I disagree, I like the 5.1 sound of The Terminator, and since they've never seen it, they aren't missing anything by skipping the mono sound.
I agree, the 5.1 track is very good, it gives the film much more punch. Nice to have the option of the two tracks :emoji_thumbsup:

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Now Jeff you just confused me. From what Jim said I thought the extended version of the movies are the same in UE or EE, except (with UE having the code of Sarah and John, in the no machines future).
In other words, both would have the T-1000 in John's room and John moving the switch in the T-800's head, etc.

Todd K

Second Unit
Well, it sounds like on the Extreme Edition, those two extra scenes are in the supplements section. So no matter which version you buy/rent, you will still have all the available scenes somewhere in the set.

As an update, I rented T1 last night, but have not watched it yet. Perhaps this evening.

As for T2, I am leaning towards watching the special extended version, or possibly the "kitchen sink" version. If the endings are the same except for the tacked on coda, I don't see the difference whether I see it in the movie, or if I go immediately to the deleted scenes and watch it.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I disagree, I like the 5.1 sound of The Terminator, and since they've never seen it, they aren't missing anything by skipping the mono sound.
I also prefer the 5.1 mix, as the laser sound effects in the Future War sequence match those in T2. The mono SFX sound more like traditional gun blasts. Also Ahnuld's gunshots in mono use the cheesy "Dirty Harry Magnum" sound effect.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
T2: Ultimate Edition
Theatrical Edition
Special Edition - Longer cut w/ theatrical ending
Easter Egg Extended Cut (Title 3) - Even longer cut w/ original ending

T2: Extreme Edition
Special Edition
Easter Egg Theatrical Cut
What I was trying to say is that although the "Even longer cut" from the UE DVD is not on the EE, the extra scenes from that cut are still on the disc.

To access them, you activate the interactive mode, and a Cyberdyne icon will appear on screen during the point in the movie where those scenes would go. Press the enter button and it will take you to the deleted scene. (The interactive mode has other stuff besides deleted scenes, too.)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Todd, really you should watch the THeatrical Version of T2 first. That is the movie that became a classic. Watch the rest later of if you wish, but it is safer to go first with the theatrical. It would be a shame if you came to not like the movie because of the extra scenes.

Watch the classic cut first.

Then don't forget to come back and tell us your impressions, it's always nice to hear someone discover a favorite - hopefully your reaction will be similar to that of those who discovered Amstel Light (Sam Adams?) in those stupid radio commercials :D

--
Holadem

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have always liked the first movie the best. it was a very intense original scifi movie. of coursr arnold at his best. It was very violence in its time.. I prefer the se of T2. I think the scene with reese adds alot more to sarah's character in T2..

JACOB

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
OK, so there are 3 versions, (watching the movie, not going back and looking at deleted scenes or doing interactive).

The Theatrical Cut
The Extended Cut (longer movie but does not include the T-1000 in John's room and John moving the switch in the T-800's head)
The Longer Extended Cut (includes the 2 scenes mentioned above, but also adds the CODA where it looks like the machines never come to power - now negated by T3).

Is this right? Or does the shorter Extended Cut also have the CODA?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
There are three versions of the movie.

Theatrical Version
Extended Version
Super Long Version

There are many differences between the Theatrical Version and the Extended Version (the "switch" scene is in the Extended Version but not the Theatrical Version). The Super Long Version differs from the Extended Version only by the inclusion of two additional scenes (T-1000 in John's room and the coda).

The two versions of the DVD (ignoring the old Image release) are the "Ultimate Edition," which contains all three versions (though the Super Long version is hidden on the disc), and the "Extreme Edition," which contains only the first two versions (though the Theatrical version is hidden on the disc). The Extreme Edition does NOT contain the Super Long Version, but DOES contain both of its additional scenes among the supplemental material.

dan fritzen

Second Unit
Alright you guys made me whip out the special edition laserdisc.

The special edition laserdisc is the same version as the Ultimate edition DVD.

1. chapter 10 added to the brutality of hospital orderlies after Sarah Connor is introduced.

2. Chapter 13 Dream sequence with Kyle Reese and impending nuclear destruction

3. Chapter 22 T-1000 steals a police car after the his tow truck is blown up.

4. Chapter 23, the T-1000 sees the dogs name is Max and not Wolfy.

5. Chapter 36 & 37 Arnold explaining his chip can be changed to a learning CPU and then John and Sarah flip the switch.

6. Chapter 40, John tried to teach the Terminator to smile

7. Chapter 42 extended scene with Miles Dyson and his family

8. chapter 44 two scenes here on between Sarah and Enrique and one between John and the terminator over life and death.

9. Chapter 48 a scene extension between conversation of John and the Terminator about value of human life.

10. Chapter 49 a series of restored shots and existing materials to further build the tension when Sarah tried killing Dyson

11. Chapter 54 after breaking into Cyberdyne, Miles shows Sarah how to destroy his research

12. Chapter 55 shows simple restored shot of police cars approaching cyberdyne

13. Chapter 66 shows T-1000 malfunctioning and mimics whatever he touches

14.Chapter 74 shows john sees t-1000 posing as Sarah but his feet are mimicking the floor

15. Chapter 78 extra credits are added for the special edition.

Todd K

Second Unit
What is so unique about the scene with "the T-1000 in John's room" that makes it the only deleted scene (besides the questionably contradictory coda) not included in the special edition version?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Cameron has explained that he feels it was an insult to the audience's intelligence. He found it only served to show what the audience had already figured out (that the T-1000 could find stuff by touch alone, I believe).

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Also Ahnuld's gunshots in mono use the cheesy "Dirty Harry Magnum" sound effect.
Exactly. Using Dirty Harry's all stopping hand cannon sound effect reinforces the idea that Arnold cannot be stopped! Much better than the mildly bassy squeak that replaces it.

Then again, I'm biased. :)

Todd K

Second Unit
Alrighty then!

Watched the first Terminator last night. Like most other movies I watch, I need time for it to sink in before I form a lasting opinion about it.

There were some cheesy parts, but overall the cool parts outweighed them. I'm anxious to see T2 now. I think I would have enjoyed the movie just as much if it was simply Arnold going around messing people up. He really made that movie.

Some thoughts:

-It would have been nice if they had left the scene in where the factory was revealed to be Cyberdine.

-I saw this on the IMDB, does anyone really think that Reese is his own father, i.e. he is John Connor?

-Lesson learned: The cheesier the line, the more quickly women want to immediately have sex with you.

-Sometimes I thought the Terminator could have been a little more no-nonsense. For example, he (almost) politely asks for the punks' clothes, yet takes down an entire police station without blinking.

-When the robotic Terminator first started moving, I thought it looked really fake, but after the initial shots, it looked very convincing considering the FX for the rest of the film.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Um, he also rips the guy's heart out, which, I guess depending on where you're from, is not polite behavior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks