1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help me watch DVDs on my PC!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al_M, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Al_M

Al_M Stunt Coordinator

I am having troubles with two DVD programs.

First I tried PowerDVD 3.0 that was bundled with my Samsumg DVD-ROM drive. After popping in a DVD I either get an "internal error" or "file format error". So I download and install the latest WinXP patch from Cyberlink's website, still no go. I even had my computer reboot by itself after popping in U-571.

So then I tried the ATI DVD player that came with my ALL-IN-WONDER Radeon 32 MB DDR card. But there is no DVD software on the CD. The CD is clearly labeled, "ATI setup disc and DVD Player". What gives? I think I got screwed by ATI.

So I go back to PowerDVD and download their latest XP 4.0 trial version of PowerDVD. Install it and still the same errors as with 3.0.

I am losing patience and refuse to go out and buy software that should have worked out of the boxes of my hardware components.

I have a feeling there is some sort of setting in XP that is screwing me up. By the way I also updated my video drivers to the latest at ATI's website. Should I use ATI's drivers or the WinXP drivers for my video card?

Any Ideas?

Here is the pertinent hardware if it helps:

AMD Athlon XP 1600+
    Gigabyte 7DX mobo
    512 MB DDR RAM
    Samsung DVD-ROM
    ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon w/32 MB DDR
    using onboard audio
    running Windows XP (Home)

2. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

You should definitely use the ATI drivers. I don't really know what the problem could be though...

3. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Check the device manager and see if there are any sort of conflicts.

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Make sure the motherboard drivers are installed.

5. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Does the drive read the data on the disc ok (Can you browse the disc and see the .vob's etc.)?