What's new

Help Me Upgrade to 7.1, Trying to find best item. (1 Viewer)

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
Hello.

I currently have a 5.1 Surround setup with the Sony TA-E9000ES Pre-Amp TA-N9000ES Amplifier. I'd like to go DD-EX, DTS-ES, and the other new formats. The 9000ES isn't capable.

I originally was going to upgrade to the Outlaw 950 with the Outlaw 770 amplifier, but they just bonered my order (which includes me overnighting a payment, them saying, oh, we don't take that form of payment, so we stuck the check you sent in snail mail back to you) after they told me to send a check. So I'm a little frustrated, and I have to wait for this piece of paper to float back from NH to KS.

So now, I'm wandering around the web looking for other options because of this stellar goof of customer service. I now have more time to think about this and I've been looking around.

Right now, I've found the Denon 4802, and the forthcoming Sony 7ES Receiver. Apparently there isn't much in the way of seperates in my $2600 price range.

Anyone have any dates on the 7ES receiver? The 9000ES has done well the last 3 years but I want SACD 5.1 inputs, and I'd like Component Video switching as well.

Any other models I should be looking at?

Thanks

Tom

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Tom,

I am unfamiliar with the Sony TA-N9000ES amplifier, but if it is of good quality, couldn't you use it in an upgraded system for awhile? That way, you would only need a 2 channel amp for the rears (or a better quality amp for the mains), thereby stretching your budget. At some point in the future, you could upgrade the Sony amp if needed.

BTW, does your $2600 budget include selling your Sony TA-E9000ES Pre-Amp? If not and you are willing to sell it, it will fetch you anywhere from $500-$800, depending on its condition.

Michael

Geno

Supporting Actor
Tom, if I were you, Id go to Audioport in Overland park. they seem to bee around your price range. its off metcalf and 95th behind Home Depot. I go in there just to listen to music sometimes. and besides, if I can help you find a preamp you like, you might just give me a good deal on your sony :)

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Tom,
If Outlaw won't take your money, find yourself an Atlantic Technology or Sherbourn dealer and get their "upgraded" clones of the 950.

Other pre-pros in the ~$2600 or under street price range would be the Rotel RSP-1066, Anthem AVM-20, Sunfire Theater Grand III, the upcoming B&K Ref 50. If you want the best 7.1 processor, a used Lexicon DC-2/MC-1 would be my pick but you'd need to use external boxes for SACD and component video switching.

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
The Sherbourn's back looks remarkably like the Outlaw 950's back. Almost word for word, part by part. I've got a printout of the outlaw's manual & the picture off the web from Sherbourne and I can't tell a difference....

GordonL

Supporting Actor
The Sherbourn's back looks remarkably like the Outlaw 950's back.
It should - same design, same manufacturer, but upgraded components. Outlaw doesn't actually manufacture the 950, they (and Sherbourn and Atlantic Technology) contract that out to an Asian manufacturer - Eastech. If you search the forum, there has been discussions about the "upgrades" with the Sherbourn.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Have you looked at the B&K AVR307? Great piece. Another to consider would be the Elite 49tx or 47tx.
If you are looking strictly for a separate pre/decoder then that's another pall park :)

Users who are viewing this thread