Help me understand

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bobby_Ray, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Bobby_Ray

Bobby_Ray Auditioning

Help me understand why a projector with better specs but not made specifically for HT would be out performed by a projector with lesser specs.
    I find a regular projector specs are: DLP, 1800 lumens, 2000 to 1 contrast for around 900 bucks

Then I find a "Home theater" projector with specs of

DLP, 850 lumens, 2000 to 1 contrast for around 1400 bucks.

Same technology, better specs but I have read that people recommend the lesser and swear it will have better picture. Am i missing something? I read a little about the DLP wheel and is it possible that HT projectors are 4x and regular are 1x or 2x?? If so then what id the regular projector also had a 4x wheel? I say this because im unsure which wheel the regular projector has that im looking at.
    Both manufacturers say they will make great quality projectors. Thanks for the insight.

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    It would help if you provided the manufacturer and model numbers in case anyone has specific experiences with them.

Also, as with many things, specs are not everything. More light output does not mean better image - just more light output for a brighter room, but if your room is light controlled you don't really need all those lumens. The speed of the color wheel is more important for reducing the "rainbow effect," which affects some people more than others. Color wheel speed and composition is an important thing, so the price difference is not that surprising if the other is in fact only 1X or 2X.

Finally, at one time InFocus was selling their X1 and 4800 to two separate markets. The X1 (for the business market) could be had for around $1000 and the 4800 (for the HT market) for around $1200. The only difference was the default settings were different, but EVERYTHING else was identical. Fortunately they haven't pulled the same trick with the X2 and the 4805.

3. Bobby_Ray

Bobby_Ray Auditioning

I left the models out intentionally so i wouldnt get a go read the review reply cause i have already read the reviews and i want opinions from people here. thanks for the reply.

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

I wouldn't worry too much about that here. Most of us like to give our opinions, solicited or not [​IMG]