help me turn the tables on a scammer?!?!?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Charlie C, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Charlie C

Charlie C Stunt Coordinator

I posted my MTN bike on one of these online classified sites and I hot this email, from a guy in FRANCE who wants the bike, HE wants to send me an extra $3000 on top of my $375 I am asking for my bike for 'his international shipper' who just happens to be coming to 'my area' to pick up my bike. [man these idiots in Europe who think the USA is so small that a shipper could get anywhere here in a day, just about craks me up in itself]

What I want from you guys/gals is ideas on what contact info I shgould send him. I was thinking like a local police department, or the white house or something. or just any ideas on what to do. these guys need to stop it soon. yes Ive seen p-p-powerbook.

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Tell him that would be great and he can Western Union the $3375 to you anytime he likes!

3. Charlie C

hey joe, if he sends it to me, ill buy us some broncos ticks.

but I want to string this guy along as much as possible.

4. Duane R

Duane R Second Unit

A guy on another forum strung the scammer along by saying he invested the extra towards a Corvette, and even got him to send another bogus check to pay for the rest of the car with the understanding that the "profit" would be split once the car was resold. The only person that spent any money was the scammer who paid for two next day air letters for mailing the checks. Upon closer inspection, the bogus checks were copies of cashier checks from a bank in Minnesota (IIRC).

5. Charlie C

what is this, the only post if you are from colorado thread?
    jeez. although I have noticed a few from CO, its good to know.

Duane, I dont want to give the guy any 'real' address of mine. so I cant really do much but keep sending him emails.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Ha, you're not the only one, I got this weird cryptic email from somebody (apparently not from the USA) on a set of brake rotors for an E36 BMW that I was selling on bimmer.org. This guy responded to my Yahoo account saying he knows this shipper who would pick it up. The person would send me $XXX and he would "trust me" to simply put the money in my account and then write a check out to the shipper on the agreed amount of the sale. I wrote back and told him, I'm not a bank and that is not how I work. I wanted the $60 plus shipping and that only. I kept asking him where he was and he never answered. We never got as far as exchanging addresses and after about 5 emails going back and forth with me telling him he's crazy if he thinks I'm going to sell this to him under his terms and him telling me that it is OK. Eventually he just stopped replying!

Jay

7. Charlie C

yeah if they know they wont get your $ or your 'item up for sale', they go to the next one. Ive told the guy I needed money FAST so Ill do ANYTHING he wants. sure got a quick response on that one. Of course then I ask if he can Wester Union the $ to me [​IMG] thanks Joe. well see his reply now. if he does, then Ill say, okok whatever, I just need my $.I just want to know what adress to send him if it comes to that. I dont give out my home address.

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

You've already seen the answer. Go down to your bank and fill them in - then have him send it to them. Like this:
    John Waters c/o 1st Nat'l Bank, 123 etc.

Glenn

9. Charlie C

glenn, thats not a bad idea [​IMG] thank you

10. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

exactly, he can send the money any time he wants too, then you'll send the bike to the moon if he wants.

P-P-P-Powerbook was classic.

11. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Never scam a Coloradan, I think Wetminster still has a hangman's gallows somewhere [​IMG]

If you absolutely need an address, you can use mine. My wife will just look at the delivery guy like he's insane (Pick up a mountain bike? WTH? Get outta here!) She's blackbelt and we have two loud dogs, so safety isn't a huge concern for us.

12. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    What exactly is the scam? I'm sure he doesn't actually intend to give you $3000 for the bike, but what is his plan?

13. Charlie C

that 1) I will send back the 'extra' $3000 that Im suposed to have, back to him. AND hell get my bike.

or thats how I see it. ever read the p-p-powerbook story ?

google it. will change the way you live. especially the blue tooth mouse!

14. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    My first idea was something akin to passing fake checks. Basically the guy wanted to give me money in excess of the amount I was asking for and then I was to pay money from my account to the so-called "shipper". At which point I guess the bank wound find out the check is fake and would eventually bounce or perhaps the check isn't fake but a good copy and then some unfortunate third party would get affected. Then of course, if you went along with it, you would be out the item you have for sale and the rest of the money if you paid by check and didn't catch it in time. Of course, then to they would have a your check with bank#, account# and signature for further madness.

This is of course, a rough guess. It was obvious to me by the person's grammer that English wasn't his main language and that he wasn't from the USA even though I asked about 3 times if he was from the USA. That was a major sign of scammage to me.

Jay.

15. Sam A

Sam A Stunt Coordinator

heck dude, send him the white house address.