Help me tune my sub in!!!!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Craig Ball, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Ok I have the Paradigm M9,CC-370,ADP-370, and the PW2200
    this is all hooked up to an H/K AVR 230. I have the mains xover at 40hz, the center and surrounds at 80hz. this was advice from a friend. Now my H/K won't give me a test tone for the sub so I'm not sure where I'm at with it. Please help me out here what do i need to do to tune this thing in? Also when i get to the set-up screen for setting the db's for all the speaks i can change it for the sub too, but again i'm not able to get a test tone so i have no idea where to start.

Craig

2. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Buy Avia (a test disc with test tones for all 5.1 channels) and a sound pressure meter. You'll be able to output the tone to your sub, and calibrate to 75dB.

Max out the subwoofer crossover control (ideally bypass it) and set subwoofer crossover on the AV amp to 40hz.

Are your main speakers capable of 40hz?

3. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

I have the disc and the meter, I've done this and still not happy. Yes all my speakers go down to the mid 30's as far as the specs say. So do i set them all to large and 40hz or small and 40hz? Also since i can't set the sub xover on the reciever i assume by setting the others to 40hz that only 40hz and below will go to the sub? So then i can max out the xover on the actual sub and not worry about anything above 40hz going to the sub?

Craig

4. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Set all your speakers to small. Also, try 80 Hz as a xover all around and see how you like that (playing down to 40 Hz and playing down to 40 Hz with authority are two different things).

-Robb