What's new

Help me troubleshoot my center channel (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I'd appreciate any thoughts on this problem.
I had been using my JBL HLS Center with a Sony STR-DE835 (moan) for about a year (along with JBL NS8 mains). During transient volume increases (usually, high-pitched vocals, like a scream) I'd notice audible distortion in the center channel.
I assumed it was the Sony.
Recently replaced the receiver with an H/K 320 (what a difference). However, I still notice, although not as pronounced as before, audible distortion in the center (during 5.1 playback or DPLII/Logic7 playback of television broadcasts). It's nothing like previous, but it's there and it's annyoing.
Do I need a new center? I'm going to pick up the S-center just to try it, but I (unlike many others) like the HLS Center and, if there's a simple fix, I'd like to hear it.
BTW, the S38s are set as Large (just like they were with the Sony) and the center is set as Small (just as before), if that helps. And, I'm not playing anywhere near reference levels.
Thanks,
AM :D

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If the problem goes away of you turn the volume down a little (i.e., increase available headroom), I would suspect the amplifier channel is running near its limits.

Also, if you have internal or external equalization, and you have the treble boosted too much, that could cause the amplifier channel to clip at higher frequencies.

Swapping it out will tell you whether or not the problem is indeed with the speaker, or your electronics.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Wayne:

I'm running my H/K 320 totally flat, no tone or bass added, no equalization. It does increase with increased volume, but I'm running at reasonably low volumes to begin with (-40 to -35).

Neil:

It can happen with any DVD in 5.1 or any broadcast in DBPLII/Logic 7. It's very pronounced with some DVD's (e.g., Season 3, Disc 1 of "The Sopranos" had some harsh moments) and not nearly so with others (e.g., last weekend's "The Last Days of Disco" had very little of it).

Thanks,

AM

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Temporarily swap your center with your L or R.

See if the distortion goes away. If it does, it's the speaker.

FYI center channel is very demanding. You could have a damaged speaker during a loud passage.

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt you have a damaged speaker if listening at those volumes. You're probably just noticing the crappy audio in some discs. It happens to us all. The Sorpranos discs are particularly nasty. Think about it. They put 4 hours of video and audio on one disc. Corners had to be cut somewhere. Ever notice the bass in the menus is better than the bass in the actual episode?

JM

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Johnny:
I think you're definitely on to something. I picked up another center channel, JBL N Center II, just for comparison, and noticed a small amount of 'distortion', during TV broadcasts processed with Logic7 or DPLII. We have horrid cable service (thank you, Time Warner), and I think the source is to blame. Having swapped out the receiver and now the speaker itself, I have nothing else to implicate except for the speaker wire or the source material!
I did notice how the bass changes between the menus and the episodes on the Sopranos DVDs. Oh well, I can live with it.
Thanks for your help.
--AM

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Our Dish Network audio is all over the place. On really compressed channels, it sounds like the surrounds are underwater.
As a wise man once said, "Crap in, crap out." :)

Users who are viewing this thread