What's new

Help me track down this remake of (I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Neil Diamond Night on American Idol---and Brooke's perfomance of "Daydream Believer"---got me thinking about a different cover of a Monkee's song, "(I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone." It was a fairly big alternative-rock hit in the late 80's. (I remember first hearing it after seeing the video for Love And Rockets great cover of "Ball of Confusion.") It was NOT the version by the Sex Pistols and a bit closer in style to Love and Rockets. I tried iTunes and Wikipedia by title and it was no help. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers did it towards the end of the '80s. That's the only one that seemed to fit the time period.

If this is correct, thank allmusic.com. I'm always a little mystified as to why this has never taken off as a big internet resource site like the imdB and wiki has.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Greg,

I can tell you that our institution uses it a lot (mostly for checking reviews of genres and styles for collection development purposes). I would venture to say it's actually quite good much of the time. I can't speak to its popularity, however.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Another vote for the Untochables. I just digitized my LP that included it, Dance Party. I used this track on one of my Covered MD's, see my thread about them. I vaguely remember another cover of it but cannot come up with a name.....yet. If it pops into my head.....

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Rachael B responding was what I thought of immediately. She's as good a source as Wikipedia and allmusic.com.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn35
Recent bookmarks