What's new

Help me to decide what TV to buy (1 Viewer)

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I have done my research and read lots of comments in this forum, and I have two choices to select from, the Toshiba LCD 40" 40XF550U and Sony LCD 40" KDL40Z4100.

The Toshiba set seems to be priced around $1450 whereas Sony set seems to be priced around $1520. In any case, consider that I have to buy a TV stand for this TV since I cannot hang it on a wall, for I am renting in my small apartment.

I play a decent amount of video games and movies, and I want to buy either one for Christmas o perhaps in January 2009. I think it is time to upgrade my old toshiba RPTV HD TW40X81. Thanks.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi O
Also consider the Sammy LCD panels.
you may want to wait a few more weeks and watch these 42" ers drop to $999 over the Christmas season.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Yes, I am in a waiting mode now since the economy is so bad that it seems that nobody wants to buy anything. By the way, which Sammy would you recommend, one comparable to my two mentioned on my initial post? If you are referring to Samsung LN40A750, it costs more than what I am willing to pay, and model LN40A650 is priced at $1800 at CC right at this moment. Besides, I've been told that these 40" Samsung models have a motor fan in the back, and this is a feature I don't like in any TV. I don't know why the lower size 40" models have this "silent fan" as I have read some people described them, but any moving parts on a TV does no sit well with me. Anyhow, thanks.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Does anyone has any opinion on the Sony 40Z4100? I found that that Z series is better than the W series, and that amazon.com is currently selling the 40Z4100 for under $1580.

luckytiff02

Auditioning
Real Name
Tiffany Johnson
I'll go with Sony 40" LCD KDL40W4100 then add some latest home furniture centers. Sony brands are good, not the best. I prefer Polk for an Audio. But then again, that's my preference. There are some good speaker systems by Sony, but it's going to be a few bucks for the set to make the combo.

Add:

Toshiba's LCDs are of very good quality too. Their picture quality is very good, and the build quality as well. They seem to be rather dependable and for the price, it's hard to rival. If you want the best kind of LCD TV...nobody rivals Sony and their XBR BRAVIA line. BUT, it will cost you a penny more. Samsung and Sharp also make amazing TVs. In build and picture quality I'll rank these brands I've talked about.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Thanks for your input. Right now I am more inclined to buy Sony 40Z4100/Black, which is being sold by amazon below $1520. However, I am also considering the new Toshiba model listed on my first post since it seems to be a high end model under Toshiba.

Do you trust that home furniture web site to buy a tv stand? Please, let me know.

luckytiff02

Auditioning
Real Name
Tiffany Johnson
I hope you enjoy your new TV, I'm so sure it is really exceptional and about the centers, I actually got one but I suggest you choose the one you want, it really depends in the designs of your room. You can also search at E-bay for centers.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I finally bought a Sony 40" 40XBR6 this morning. According to Amazon, I should receive the set on December 4. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks