Help me spend some money!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy_B, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Andy_B

Andy_B Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I am looking to upgrade my two front speakers.
    My receiver is a Onkyo TX-DS484
    http://www.potce.com/Cat1/01/Electro...s/Onkyo484.htm
    My surround rears are Cambridge Soundworks Surround II 5.1
    http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_123403_2742crx.aspx
    I also have a Cambridge Soundworks Center Channel and powered sub woofer.
    I am looking to spend between $500 and $1000.
    Height is no issue for the speakers but I would like to keep the width of the speakers fairly narrow at around 12-15 inches.
    Any recommendations?
    Thanx!
    Andy

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The important thing is to get your front 3 speakers to tone-match as much as possible.

If you are going to keep that CSW center, that means a trip back to Cambridge and pricing matching L/R speakers. We'd be doing you a dis-service to recommend anything else.

If you are looking for 3 new front speakers, that opens up a lot of choices.

3. Andy_B

Andy_B Stunt Coordinator

4. Terry Flink

Terry Flink Stunt Coordinator

Always eager to recommend nOrh speakers. 3 nOrh ceramic 4.0's (one shielded) will run less than $700.00. The looks arent for everyone, but they are amazing speakers. I have the complete 4.0 video system ($850.00) consisting of 5 identical speakers and an SVS 20-39CS. The results are fantastic for both HT and music. Check out www.norh.com

5. Chris_Campbell

Chris_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Bob on this one. For a terrific bang for your buck (and simply great sound), I would recommend looking into a set of B&Ws. You could go with a LCR6 center channel ($500 retail), and a pair of 602s3 for the fronts (retail $600/pair). You can of course obtain the set for less than the $1100 retail, as most B&Ms will negotiate on these items, which should put you under budget. The fronts are bookshelves, but this shouldn't be much of an issue with your sub. Stunning sound, from affordable speakers.

6. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Upgrading a pair only? I'd have to go ahead and say upgrade all five, but front three at the bare minimum. Personally I've got the ceramic nOrh 4.0 package and am extremely pleased with them. You may want to look at Ascend, ACI, B&W, Def Tech, Paradigm, PSB, Swan Diva, or Axiom. Good luck!

7. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

I love the Diva 4.1 and C3 center at that price. See them here.

8. Andy_B

Andy_B Stunt Coordinator

Thank you all for the suggestions.
    The Diva's have caught my eye.
    Would the onkyo reciever I have been compatible with these speakers?
    http://www.potce.com/Cat1/01/Electr...rs/Onkyo484.htm
    I noticed that the speakers have a 4 ohm impedence. What does this mean for my receiver and or set up?
    Thanx!
    Andy

9. Russell _T

Andy,
    Are you considering the 4.1's I was recommending? If so, they are actually 6 ohm. That spec is wrong. I wish they would correct the web site. They will have an updated site up soon that will be correct. No one to my knowledge has had problems driving the Divas, but that isn't the most powerful receiver around. On the plus side, Onkyo is known for providing clean power. If you think they look good, wait till you hear how they sound. Call Russell Woolfolk if you have ordering questions. There is a Diva FAQ site that can be seen here.

10. Andy_B

Andy_B Stunt Coordinator

Hi Russ,

Yes I was wondering about the 4.1's. I am glad that the impedance was listed incorrectly because I was not sure how that was going to affect me.

I am also happy to hear that my current Onkyo will be passable until I have the time to upgrade that piece.

Questions:

1) Should I still use a powered sub woofer with these Diva speakers?

2) Is the center channel really too heavy to place on top of my Toshiba 55 inch widescreen TV?

Thank you for the pointer to the faq. I have read through it once but I need to read through it again.

These Diva's (the 4.1) certainly sound like a nice bang for the buck...

Andy

11. Russell _T

Andy,

Unless you are a serious basshead, the 4.1's will provide enough bass for music applications, however for HT I don't care what speakers you have, a powered sub can't be beat for providing that extra low end slam.

I love that Toshiba you have. The C3 is a beast at around 33 lbs. I have mine sitting on top of my Mits, and it did create a tiny sag after awhile, but I solved the problem by taking the bearing off the edge of the cabinet. A friend suggested I put those little rubber feet from Walmart on the bottom along the front and about two inches back. That way, the C3 can still sit at the edge of the Tv but be supported back from the bezel thus avoiding edge refraction problems. It works fine, and no more sag.

BTW, I think the 4.1 is the most elegant of the Diva line, and generally considered to sound a little better than the 5.1.

12. Barry Barnes

Barry Barnes Stunt Coordinator