What's new

Help me spend some money please!!! (1 Viewer)

Luke_Lemmings

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking at getting a HT surround setup.
I've narrowed it down to these choices:

Mirage Omni 260 fronts, Omni 250 rears, matching center + sub.
Also thought about the OM 9 fronts but with small rears of the same line. Are the OMs worth the extra $$$?

Paradigm Monitor 11 fronts, Monitor 7 rears, matching center + sub.

Klipsch RF35 fronts, RF 15 rears, RC 35 center, sub to be determined.

I watch mostly movies 75%, 25% music.

My budget is roughly $3000 CND. Being in Canada I feel can get some better prices on the Mirage and Paradigm speaker.

I currently have a Harman Kardon AVR 125 reciever. The specs say they output 45 watts per channel. Is this reciever good enough to use for speakers of this caliber or should I upgrade ASAP?

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Drop the Mirage sub, get an SVS instead - the Mirage sub just can't compare. Stay with the OMNI 260s - they are an awesome speaker. Listen to the OM9s and compare vs. 260s. But, personally, I don't think they are any better than the 260s. The OM7s, on the other hand, are, IMO.

The 250s might be overkill for rears if you don't listen to a lot of music. But if you can spare the $ I'd certainly get them. I use them as rears myself with my OM7 fronts.

Sadly, I haven't had a chance to listen to the Paradigms so I can't comment on those.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I dont think your receiver can do the Paradigm 7 & 11 justice, i have the same one by the way. It has lots of power but probably not enough for all those subs.
I would recommend Paradigm mini monitors, or monitor 3s front and back (dont be fooled by the size or the price), CC370 center channel, and a Paradigm pw2200 sub or Servo 15.
You will have plenty of bass and power. If you buy a package like this the dealer will give you at least 15-20% off retail. Have a listen to the little paradigms. They use the same midrange drivers as the larger towers and let the powered subs handle the bass.
I havent heard the Missions or Klipsch so I cant comment there but be sure to listen to them all and pick what you like best.

Luke_Lemmings

Stunt Coordinator
GrahamT:

I thought about smaller speakers before but I really have my heart set on FLOOR STANDING. I just love the look.

When I buy speakers I'm also buying a piece of furniture for the room so even though quality of sound is the top priority I do take looks into consideration as well.

gregD

Second Unit
Have a look at the Totem Acoustic line: http://www.totemacoustic.com/ ... good looks, good price, great sound.

I also second the recommendation to check out a sub from one of the main online vendors (SVS, Hsu, Adire), regardless of your speaker choice... bang for the buck.

Yup, beef up the receiver... maybe add a used outboard 5-ch power amp (if the 125 has pre-outs).

You're on your way to a nice system.

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
I have a friend going through a similar dilemma right now but he is just looking for fronts and a center.

He has it narrowed down to the Monitor 7's, Axiom M60's, and something from Klipsch. What he can't get his head around is the fact that Klipsch is relatively quite a bit more expensive here in Canada because they are imported. Paradigm would be the opposite. Axiom's online-only model allows them to periodically adjust the exchange rate so everyone is pretty much treated the same.

All the sub's people mentioned would have similar relative price issues for you, but that may be a little better now because of the improving exchange rate. Also, remember that any product that is not manufactered in the US will be subject to import duty.

Anyway, that's the money side of the equation.

Good luck with your decision,

Jeff

Keith*D

Agent
The HK AVR 125 does not have pre-outs. If you like the sound of the Klipsch speakers than your reciever will be able to power them easily. If you like JBL they make plenty of great speakers for the money also. As for subs, go with Hsu or SVS.

Keith

Luke_Lemmings

Stunt Coordinator
Would you guys suggest upgrading my reciever if I went with the Mirage speakers.

They are pretty efficient.

What's your take?

It seems that the Mirages are in the lead thus far, at least until I can demo the Totem speakers.

I will most definitly go with a Hsu or SVS sub.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Well I have the 11's, 7's and a CC370 paired with an Onkyo TX-DS898(110Wx7) and here's my vote for that setup. Stylistically, they are a nothing more than a rectangular speaker, but the fronts look great with the grills off if you can do that. I was going to get the 5's for surrounds but buying stands for them put their cost as high as the 7's, so I got the 7's instead. I'd say this setup is a little on the bright side, but I have hardwood floors and not very sound absorbant room decor. 45WPC is still low no matter what speakers IMO, but if you look, the Monitor 11 and 7 are pretty efficient speakers respectively and you could probably get by until an upgrade. Good luck!

The new PW2200(400W model) looks pretty good spec wise and since you can get a package deal, would probably be the way to go for your sub. I went with an SVS 20-39PC+, after first holding out on the sub due to budget constraints, since it was about $100 cheaper overall for me and would at least eqaul or better the PW in most other user's opinions. To say I'm not disappointed in that choice, is an understatement. If you can get a comparable sub from SVS in the same price range, SVS all the way. If you decide on a non-SVS sub first, email SVS for their opinion on an equal of the one you choose and see what they say and recommend and look at the cost. I will gaurantee there are NO disappionted SVS customers. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks