Help me spend my $2000!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg S, May 21, 2001.

1. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

OK found some $$$ here and need some suggestions.
    $2000 is the max I have (and thats pushing it)
    So what should I get.
    Keep in mind I do not have any HDTV service in my area. I do have dish but not the HDTV equipment for it.
    My DVD player is a Sony 560 and I will not have the cash for the move to progressive.
    So with that said what do you recommend???
    Is an XBR Wega going to be my best option???
    I really like the Mits RPTVs but not really sure I have the space for one (or the $$$ for that matter)
    So any HOTTTTTT!!! deals happening right now??
    Thanks for your help in advance.
    Greg

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Well Greg, you're entering the market at a time when $2K is about to get you a ton more than it could have.
    Panasonic, Mitsu, and some other makers are readying 46"-53" HD-ready sets, be they 16x9 or 4x3, that MSRP between $2K-$2.5K and be found online for $2K or less.
    Most of these sets can do some form of 3:2 pulldown or inverse telecine, but most people agree that you should have the player do that if you can.
    I am waiting for the Panasonic 47" 16x9 HD-ready set that is due in June/July. MSRP is $2200, you can find it online for anywhere between $1800-$2000. You said space was a concern, with me as well, and this set is small enough to fit in most places. I also do not plan on getting HDTV, but I want a set that maximizes my DVDs.
    I too have the 560D player. I will try it with the set and compare it with a Progressive Scan DVD player. My dealer will probably let me audition the Panasonic RP91 player and I can do an A/B with the Sony player. That won't be until sometime in July, though.
    Good luck!

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

The Toshiba 40H80 is $1999 at Best Buy now, can be found for a couple of hundered less online, including shipping, if you're comfortable going that route.
    /Mike

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Mike,
    How is the picture on the 40H80? The only times I've seen them are horribly calibrated on the Best Buy floor. Would you recommend those over Panasonic and Mitsubishi?
    I know that the 46807 has been repriced to $1998 MSRP and Ken Cranes (among other places) will sell it to you for less than that.
    Just from what I've seen, I'd take the 46" 46807 over the 40H80. And judging from the new Panasonic HD-Ready RPTVs those are getting a big overhaul with the models that are just coming out compared with last year's models (9 pt. convergence, 3:2 pulldown detection, improved line doublers, more inputs). That's why I'm waiting for the 47" Panny. What are your thoughts?