What's new

Help me settle a debate....... (1 Viewer)

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
Okay, I am having a debate with a youngster on another forum and wanted to seek out your assitance in providing a resolution.
When someone mentions Hollywood to you, do you think of a place, or the film making industry?
And if you think of the film making industry, does it generally encompass all films, whether they be high-budget, low-budget, special effects galore, glitz, glamour, etc.?
To give you an idea, she tells me that Hollywood does not make B films, never has. And that the only movies Hollywood makes are high-budget, etc.
Which one of us is the most ignorant? :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Hollywood doesn't "make" anything. It is a place. It just so happens that it's the center for American filmmaking.

B-films are made in Hollywood.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Since I live here, I think of the place, the district, first--but the "Hollywood" that the world knows as Hollywood is all over Los Angeles. And that was the buzz about last Sunday's Oscar event: It was finally back in the district where it was born, on the Boulevard no less.

In fact, when I hear locals say "Hollywood," I think of the Boulevard first--and then of all the hookers, dealers, homeless people, and seediness that the Hollywood & Highland Entertainment Complex (which includes the Kodak Theatre) can never hope to eradicate.

"Hollywood" the industry, however, not only makes B films, it created them. Where did that notion of your friend's ever come from?

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
"Hollywood" the industry, however, not only makes B films, it created them. Where did that notion of your friend's ever come from?
Well Jack, she's not my friend and I have no clue. What she is is a mouthy 18 year old that has attacked me in every personal way imaginable. I'm simply trying to make sure everyone else involved in the thread realizes what an idiot she is. ;)

Ike

Screenwriter
When someone says Hollywood to me, whether techinically correct or not, I think of the industry of big budget fluff movies.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Tony, print this thread out so your mouthy little adversary can read some input from someone who happens to live in the area as well as hang with Hollywood wannabes.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
These are quotes from her:
"Oh, and ....Hollywood doesn't make "B" movies.....those are independent films, low budget not HIGH BUDGET like Hollywood"
"Yeah,, HOLLYWOOD USED to call them "B" movies but they pretty much referred to all movies that have a LOW budget, which is NOT HOLLYWOOD...therefor, HOLLYWOOD could never make "B" movies because they don't use low budgets, little boy..."
Now, I got a real kick out of that one...I am 32 years old, a disabled veteran, former powerlifter and still tip in at 6' 300 pounds..... this came from a little 18 year old.
Here's another gem: "I AM familiar with Roger Corman...he may live in HOLLYWOOD but he's definitely not HOLLYWOOD. He is the essence of independent films and he may have started alot of actors careers but he's DEFINITELY NOT a HOLLYWOOD special effect mainstream guy. All of his movies went straight to video."
And one more for the road, she hasn't been able to come back with anything resembling an intelligent thought since (not that any of them ever were): "Hollywood cannot make a "B" movie because the definition of a "B" movie is a low budget film...ALL Hollywood mainstream movies have special effect, high budgets, good actors, etc, etc."
And with that gentlemen, I bid you good night. And these were copied exactly as she wrote them...all the "emphasis" was hers.
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks