Help me set up a Toshiba 43H71

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mr. Brian, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Mr. Brian

Mr. Brian Stunt Coordinator

This weekend I'm going to help my father in law set up his new Toshiba 43H71. I'm looking for advice on how I should go about things and any hints on settings. Is there a certain color level/picture setting that we should use for DVD? One for TV? I'm going to bring my Video Essentials DVD. He also has a new Panasonic RP56 Progressive Scan DVD player. Since I don't have a progressive scan player, what settings should I choose to take advantage of anamorphic DVD's? Do I have to manually go into 16:9 mode on the TV? Also, which aspect ratio do I choose in the DVD player, 16:9 or 4:3? By the way, this is a 4:3 TV. I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Brian

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

What's his source for regular TV? Cable right into the TV, external converter or digital receiver? Satellite?
    The Toshiba's have seperate picture setting memories for the cable TV input, Video 1/2/3 (shared), Component 1 and Component 2. If he watches regular TV through s-video from a satellite box (for instance), connect the DVD player to Video1 input with an s-video cable. Run through all the VE test patterns and save the settings. Now connect the DVD player to the component inputs, set the player to 480p and repeat.
    As for aspect ratios, this model has vertical compression that can be enabled by hitting the 'Pic Size' button on the remote. If you enable 'Compression' mode, you can put the DVD player in 16:9 and get the full glory of anamorphic DVDs. HOWEVER, any movies that are not anamorphic will look 'funny' and will require the user to switch the DVD player to 4:3 and the TV to 'Normal' (full 4:3) mode. If this is too much to deal with (it certainly would be for my father!), then just leave the TV set to Normal and the DVD to 4:3. You'll lose resolution, but possibly retain sanity [​IMG]

3. Mr. Brian

Mr. Brian Stunt Coordinator

His source for TV right now is cable. He may add an HDTV tuner and satellite down the road.

Thanks,

Brian

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

For cable, determine the settings with a composite connection between the DVD player and the TV. Write down the numbers you get and change the settings in TV mode, then save them. It won't be perfect, but every cable channel seems to be different anyway.