Help me separate!! Opinions sought before auditioning.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd_Michael_R, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Todd_Michael_R

Todd_Michael_R Stunt Coordinator

Hi all:
    Curious to know any opinions/advice on which amp to drive my B&W N805s and HTM-2 front soundtstage before I go and audition. I'm looking at both 3-channel (plus an additional 2-ch down the road) and 5-channel amps.
    In your opinions...
    ...will the Sherbourn 5/1500A drive my speaks nicely?
    ...what about a Rotel RMB-1066 bridged for 150x3?
    ...am I kidding myself and should I suck it up and give in to a Bryston 9B-ST or 5B-ST?
    I have read that Rotel amps pair nicely with B&W, almost seemingly made for each other, but I also hear the other side and that is Nautilus speakers benefit more from a Bryston, Krell, Classe, or McCormack. Is this true for my particular Nautilus -- the 805?
    My budget is rather fluid, as you can tell, but I'd rather not hit diminishing returns WRT price/performance. [​IMG]
    Thanks to all for any advice,
    Todd

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Todd: Of your three choices, I'd opt for 1 or 3. Not that I don't like Rotel amps, I do. It is just that if I have my choice, I'd rather not bridge amps for use with primary speakers. Most amps have increased noise and decreased abilities to power transients into low impedances when bridged.

If you are considering the Sherbourn because you liked what you heard, check out the ATI and Outlaw amps which sound similar to the Sherbourn.

3. Gregg Hart

Gregg Hart Stunt Coordinator

In my opinion the Outlaw and ATI amp do not sound similar to Sherbourne. I think Sherbourne is in a league above these amps. Sherbourne is a beautiful piece that I myslef have jusdt added to my system. I would highly recommend this over the Bryston unless a 20 year warranty is important to you.

4. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

5. Todd_Michael_R

Todd_Michael_R Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to all for the advice thus far. [​IMG]
    Luckily, there is a Sherbourn dealer here in Chicago and I have a 4:00pm appointment with him tomorrow to "kick the tires" on the 5/1500A. Also there are several Rotel dealers near me where I can check out not only the RMB-1066, but also the 1095 and 1075.
    Kevin: glad to hear you have such awesome results with your RMB-1066 (enough to inspire your sig! [​IMG]) Anxious to hear how it sounds, esp. given the price point.
    John: Not the first time I heard Sherbourns being compared to Brystons favorably! You're right though. A 20-year warranty is nice, but not *that* nice. After all, I suppose that is what you are paying for in the long run with Bryston. I can bring a 5/1500A demo home according to this dealer I'm seeing tomorrow. But at 80lbs and living on a *3rd* floor apartment, my back may disagree! We'll see. [​IMG]
    To other lurkers of this thread, are there any others I should consider?
    Todd

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

7. Vinny Petronio

Vinny Petronio Stunt Coordinator

Have you considered Parasound you should give them a listen they go well with your 805s

8. Fred DeGrandis

Fred DeGrandis Stunt Coordinator

Todd, I sent you a PM
    I have the Sherbourn, and I love it[​IMG]
    Fred

9. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

John,

NO insult taken at all, maybe I just came off wrong in the way I asked for info. I really just wanted to read some written info on the adv/neg of bridging if you had a link.

Kevin

10. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Todd,
    Here's another vote for the Sherbourn, I am very happy with mine.
    I also agree with JM, it would be better IMO to go with the unbridged 200 wpc Sherbourn, rather than a bridged 150 wpc Rotel. Bridging does increase the potential for added distortion, although whether or not it will be audible depends on the specific configuration and load. Another point is that the Sherbourn will have more headroom than the bridged Rotel and more headroom is a good thing. [​IMG]