Help me select a good brand of home theater speakers, that will please the wife!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RogersK, Oct 8, 2003.

1. RogersK

RogersK Auditioning

We are having a new townhouse built, and the mid level will have a "Great Room" (family room). This room will be where we will spend most of our time watching tv, movies, and hanging out with friends.

We intend to decorate the room so that it looks good, but we also want to have a home theater in the room. We are going to have the builder wire the room for speakers, and we are looking for suggestions on brands of speakers to look at.

I had originally just assumed I would go with Bose, since a couple of my friends have them, they are small, white, etc. But after doing some initial research, I quickly learned that Bose are not what they are cracked up to be (sorry to any Bose fans.)

The room is 19 feet long by 13 feet wide (19 X 13).

Price is not critical, but I would say somewhere in the $1500-$3000 range (for speakers only).

ALso, we want the speakers to be WHITE, to blend into the walls that will be painted white. We also would prefer that most/all the speakers be wall hangable, so probably no floor standing speakers.

Suggestions are appreciated, and then we will go audition them at our local audio stores....

thanks!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :b

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Rogers,

sounds exciting [​IMG]

3. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Here's a link to a review of a system with the Maggies noted above. I really can't think of many other speakers you could get in white, especially the mains. The only other one that comes to mind is Def Tech. Personally, I prefer the sound of Maggies to DT.

[I know Bl**e does but I don't consider them an option.]

4. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Come to think of it I believe you could get the Paradigm Cinema series in white

5. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

Definitive Technology's ProCinema 80 or 100 series would meet your needs, I believe.

Talked a friend out of buying Bose in favor of these. Amazingly, given Bloze's tight control of its marketing, he and his wife were able to find a place in the SF Bay Area where he could listen to them side by side. He said there was no comparison, as the Bose sounded thin and weak versus the DefTechs (he bought the 80s). He's been very happy with his purchase.

6. george king

george king Supporting Actor

go to www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com and Brian will custom build you speakers in the finish of your choice, so white would be a possiblity. 2 pairs M-1s a C-1 and nice sub, would come in right around $1500, for a killer setup.

7. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

8. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

You can get some of the Paradigms (Performance and Monitor series) in white but none of the floorstanders. IMHO, it would look odd to have speakers of different finishes and in Paradigms case with the above series speakers, the center and surrounds cannot be matched to the mains. I think this is a poor decision on their part.

I'm not familiar with Dali or Piega other than the name. I didn't realize you could get Dyn's in white. They would be a great souding choice. A couple pairs of 42W (on wall), a 122C center, and a sub (SVS PB1-ISD in ice white) and you'll be good to go. The Dyn floorstanders would probably go out of your price range very quickly.

9. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Nht's have models in white and wall hangable.

10. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Don't forget to make sure the speakers are front firing especially if your hanging them on the walls.

Kevin

11. RogersK

RogersK Auditioning

I have not auditioned these yet, but at least on paper, I am seriously considering the Definitive Technology ProCinema line. Of course, I will go to my local audio specialty store and do comparisons, but I have been browsing the Web for ideas and have come up with this setup.

Here is my tentative setup, thoughts, comments, appreciated…..

Definitive Technology white speakers

7.1 setup:

ProMonitor 200 for the Front Left/Right
    ProCenter C2 for Center Speaker
    ProSub 200TL for subwoofer
    ProMonitor 100s for the Surround speakers (2 rear, 2 sides)

I was wondering if it is ok to use the 100s for the rears, and 200s for fronts. Also, is it even possible to buy them separate, or do they have to be bought as a package (in which case they would have to all be 200s, or 100s)?

I plan to wall mount the speakers (at least all the 4 surrounds), and I may buy the speaker stands for the front left/right speakers.

We are trying to design a good sounding system (19 X 13), but a system that will blend in with a decorated living room, cost NOT being an overriding factor to this choice.

Home Theater Magazine had good things to say about the 100 system:

Note: This site wont let me post URLs until I have 15 posts, so.. definitivetech.com/reviews/PrCn100HT/index.html

As always, thanks for everyone's input...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/procinema/procinema.html

12. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

For a sub, I'd recommend an Diy IB sub (relatively cheap, Ultra high performance, and stealth). Check out the "CULT"

13. Minesh Patel

Minesh Patel Stunt Coordinator

Don't forget to look into Anthony Gallo Speakers, available in a rainbow of colors:

roundsound.com

14. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

15. ChrisArmour

ChrisArmour Stunt Coordinator

Don't forget about M&K, their new Xenon and K-series are available in white as well. www.MKsound.com

16. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

For a small sub with supposedly good output, check out the Stryke Audio Mini Thunder. It is endowed with a 12" and a pair of 12" passive radiators (pressure-driven diaphragms that take the place of big ports) in a 16" cube. I do not know if they have a built-in plate amplifier or if they are passive. If the $550 price includes a plate amplifier (an amp built into the back), then they are definitely worth looking into.

17. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

All I have to say is thank goodness you went to this site before going to Bose....

18. Matt Odegard

Matt Odegard Stunt Coordinator

19. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

20. gregD

gregD Second Unit

I have heard the little Gallo Micro's, and they are terrific for the size, style and price.

But they definitely need a sub, and the Gallo is not the one to get... surprisingly flabby sound, runs kinda hot... fortunately there are lotsa other sub choices (the usual suspects: Hsu, SVS, Adire).