Help me save someone from Bose!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jeff_N, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Jeff_N

Jeff_N Agent

Hi there... I have a buddy that recently informed me that he was going to buy some Bose speakers. "Why?" you might ask... Well, he likes the small size of the speakers. He told me that if I could find a better substitute, he would buy something else. I think he can do a lot better for his money.

This is what he wants:
    5.1 surround, wall mountable SMALL speakers
    DVD Player - Progressive that plays MP3's
    Receiver

All this for around $800. I figure we can get a decent cheap DVD player for around $100, so that leaves me with $700 for the small speaker surrounds and receiver.

He's pretty firm on the price and the small size. I tried to talk him into the Rockets package, but he said no way, they were too large.

If this gives you an idea - he wants to eventually get a plasma screen in a couple years, and wants the speakers to mount on the wall next to it.

HTiB would be acceptable, but I would prefer something with a non-integrated DVD player, so that that can be upgraded in the future.

Any suggestions?

2. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Maybe the Energy "Take 5"?
    I think it might be called 5.2 now.
    It might be just a bit bigger but the extra inch will be worth it for the sound differences he'll get.

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Energy Take is a good decision and also Klipsch Quintets. It is a 5 piece speaker package and the wall mounts on right on the base of the speaker. They are just about the same size as the bose cubes (7" tall) and provide much better sound. The only thing that I don't know if he minds is the cetner speaker is not a wall mount, but I don't think he will mind if that is on his TV.

Unfortunatly it doesn't come with a subwoofer, and of course you can also shop around for those babies... The Klipsch Quintets are about $350 in Bestbuy and you might be able to find a nice little subwoofer there for around $200. So figure in those two and you have spent about $550.

For a reciever, I would recommend a Harman/Kardon AVR-125. They are a basic 5.1 reciever and are very very nice. The front panel is nice and catchy so it brings some attention to your HT and it offers alot of amp power. Klispch speakers also don't need alot of power to be driven (alot less than most speakers) so bringing them up to very loud volumes won't be a problem at all.

The reciever will porbably be around $200 if you can spark a good deal. I hope this helps you, it will bring your total to about $800 or so.

Also, doesn't he knows how crappy Bose speakers are? I mean those things are just aweful, look at how there are now specs for them either. Tell him to listen to the Klipsch compared to the Bose, i'm sure he'd take the Klipsch anyday.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

The Acoustic Research HC6 configuration has a center channel, four satellites and a powered subwoofer for ~$300 or a bit more. This leaves almost $500 for a DVD player and a 5.1 receiver.

5. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

The Energy 5.2 and Klipsch Quintet's are good recommendations. The best small speakers I've heard were the Anthony Gallo's, but I'm not too sure about their price.

www.roundsound.com

6. Cesar

Cesar Extra

HSU Ventriliquist

7. Stephen Gilbert

Stephen Gilbert Auditioning

Well it might be hard to talk him out of it...The Bose package is pretty tempting due to the small size. Get him to read this forum, it might help.

I listened to the KEF Egg system, Bose, Energy - Both Encore and Take 5.2, Boston Acoustics and Harmon Kardon to get an idea for smaller speakers. I was most impressed with the Encore package.

To the untrained ear Bose sounds really good, and nothing I have seen so far is nearly as small.

Good Luck!

8. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

is the Bose really for $800??

Paradigm Cinemas are about the same size but THEY ROCK!

Cinema 70 7"H x 4-1/4"W x 5-1/2"D
    Bose Cube 61/4"H x 3"W x 4"D

Bose aversion story: I actually had a friend who was considering Bose and pointed him to all the data (intellexual.net and elsewhere). He ended up spending his $ on cameras (which were his passion)

9. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Don't feel too bad. My cousin has a Bose system. He likes the simplicity. His other stuff? A vintage Mac amp and pre-amp with Klipsch Heresy speakers.

Go figure.

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Ditto Lew's suggestion re the Acoustic Research HC6 system. And even though you can get it for less than $400 it's suggested retail is $800. All the while, given its performance and classy, black-lacquer finish, it looks like $1,600.

11. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Now that's one strange fellow[​IMG].